Official Review: Perfumed Letters by Robin T Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Official Review: Perfumed Letters by Robin T Smith

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 19 Jan 2014, 19:56

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Perfumed Letters" by Robin T Smith.]
Book Cover for 9781478713876
Share This Review

Perfumed Letters a self help novel by Robin T. Smith is a book about the author's life and her walk with Christ. This was my first non-fiction book that I have ever read and I was very leery about reading but I felt it was time to branch out into the nonfiction genre. What better book to start with than a book where the author give encouragement for women who have a relationship with God and those women that seek a relationship with our Lord and Savior?

Perfumed Letters is a self help book geared towards the female reader population. The author talks about her life as she walked with God and came to have a relationship with him. Before reading this book, I never thought to associate perfume to God. I have heard the scientific side of smell and perfume through documentaries but never have I heard or thought to associate perfume with God. While reading, I caught myself, periodically, stopping and contemplating my own relationship with God. I am a believer, I used to attend Sunday school and go to Church with my grandma on Sunday's but I never fully sought a relationship with Him.

Throughout the book, it is good to keep an open mind and keep a bible next to you, as the author quotes and references the bible all throughout the novel. As somebody who has always struggled to read the bible and so has never read through it, it was nice to read a book that broke down and helped the reader understand what the bible was saying but from a woman's perspective. The novel was very easy to read and I was able to read through it fairly quickly. The author wrote as if she was talking to a close friend and it helped to relate to most of what she was saying throughout the book. In the novel, there are parts for every female out there to relate to and in some parts, you can not relate, but I felt that it helped understand situations that other women may be going through that I otherwise wouldn't give a second thought about.

However, eloquently written, there was still a lot of grammatical errors found throughout the story. It seemed as though there was very little, if any proofreading and editing. Some of the sentences were littered with errors that made it very difficult to understand what the author was trying to say and caused me to have to reread the sentence several times and pick apart the sentence to try and piece together what the author was saying. As it kept happening it became very annoying. Also, in one of the chapters, the author states she is going to talk about three women from the bible relevant to a certain perfume, however, in the end there was only two women that she spoke of.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars because though I was annoyed with the errors, I still enjoyed the uplifting encouragement the author offered through her own trials. This book is not for everybody but if you have an open mind and could use some spiritual uplifting then this is the book for you!

Buy "Perfumed Letters" on Amazon
Buy "Perfumed Letters" on Barnes and Noble
‘A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’

– George R. R. Martin

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
-Harry Potter

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”