Official Review: The Rescue of Boxer 22

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Confucius Analects by Raymond K. Li

Official Review: The Rescue of Boxer 22

Post by Elvis Best »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rescue of Boxer 22" by Jeffrey A. Chunglo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Rescue of Boxer 22, written by Jeffrey A. Chunglo, is a true account of an out-of-this-world rescue mission by the U.S. Air Force during the Vietnam War. On 5th December 1969, an F-4C Phantom jet was shot down during a bombing run, forcing its pilots to abruptly eject in enemy territory.

What followed was a long and arduous Combat Search and Air rescue mission that lasted for three days and that has been declared the largest of its kind in U.S. Air Force history. In this book, Chunglo reveals all the gory details of the rescue mission, including the conversations, interactions, feelings, and actions of all involved in the mission. Indeed, Chunglo has left no stone unturned in rendering this epic tale of courage, camaraderie, and unflinching loyalty.

All in all, reading The Rescue of Boxer 22 felt like a real and intense experience for me, as the author included pictures from the actual mission. These pictures brought to life what I was reading and helped me to connect deeply with the book. Truly, a picture is worth a thousand words, but in my case, it was worth more than a thousand.

Furthermore, it was inspiring to see the immense effort, time, and dedication that the U.S. Air Force put into the rescue attempt. For several moments while reading, I was awed by their bravery, their sense of camaraderie, and their love for a fellow soldier. The following quote from the book sums up their inspiring mindset: “We’re Americans! That’s why we do this! We’ll never leave a man behind!”

Further, as I was reading, I kept telling myself that the book ought to be made into a movie. The intense action, prolonged battle, indefatigable enemy troops, all these made The Rescue of Boxer 22 a thrilling and exciting read. Made into a movie, I believe this book would be a blockbuster, and the American audience would appreciate the bravery of their soldiers.

Nevertheless, because this book was written in a nonfiction format, there were a few parts that were a bit boring to read. That was the only thing I disliked about the book. Apart from that, however, I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Rescue of Boxer 22.

Considering the above points, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The minor issue I had with it was not enough for me to deduct a star from the rating. Further, I believe it was exceptionally edited, as I found only one error in it. I also found some vulgar words in it, and so I would not recommend it to anyone below eighteen. The best audience for this book would be fellow Air Force personnel and anyone who enjoys reading exceptional true-life stories.

The Rescue of Boxer 22
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: My Name is Red
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by raluca_mihaila »

I loved your entertaining review! The books seems very interesting and I'll add it to my list.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Book 1 : Birth Into Darkness by WJR Parks

Post by kandscreeley »

This isn't what I would usually read. Yet, you make it sound interesting. I suppose I could skim through the boring parts. 😁
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: The Champagne Tales by Michael Amon
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

This book seems greatly action packed and thrilling. Though this is not my type of genre, your review made it sound quite interesting. Surely this book is very much inspiring and helps people connect to a different world out there. Thanks for the review!

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: The Last Minder by Fish Phillips

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book seems to be an action thriller book. The cover is is just catchy. Thanks for an insightful review.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 154
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Wedding Girl
Bookshelf Size: 620
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Grant Justice by Robert Gregory Fegers
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

Exciting is an understatement, especially because it really happened. Hats off to these brave men.

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: Hemiphos by Stefanie Jacob

Post by Adanna Inya »

This review is entertaining and makes the book exciting. I'd love to read about the war and rescue mission.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”