Official Review: A Memoir of Healing & Deliverance fr...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: Hope Rises by Dr. Randy Ross

Official Review: A Memoir of Healing & Deliverance fr...

Post by TCG »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Memoir of Healing & Deliverance from Sex Abuse : The Dirty Man" by GerVaise Sarah Guyton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Parental irresponsibility is the reason many children go through sexual abuse. For GerVaise Sarah Guyton, her parents were not only irresponsible, but they also consented to the sexual molestation that she went through. A Memoir of Healing and Deliverance from Sex Abuse: The Dirty Man was intended by the author to reveal the sexual assault she went through and how she was delivered.

The author’s rejection, rape, and abuse started when she was a teenager. After The Dirty Man entered her room in the night and started touching her body in an abusive way. Her parents knew about this molestation and would usually get her ready to wait for her abuser. She was sold as a sex slave by her parents to the pastor of her church. The Dirty Man also molested her siblings and other church members. How was she delivered from the five years of sexual slavery?

This book's theme was not suitable for young readers, as it has descriptions of the moments of abuses experienced by Sarah. I found it hard to believe that a young woman like Sarah survived such a harrowing experience. I liked the purpose of this story. It was written to help readers who are in the same bondage of sexual abuse to find deliverance. But the thing I liked most about this book was that it revealed the steps towards mental deliverance and freedom. For instance, the author started each chapter with prayers and action points.

The tale was not just about the author’s experience of sexual abuse but also on how to escape its grip. I liked the author’s attitude toward those who abused her sexually, psychologically, and physically. She chose to forgive and pray for them. She said, “Holding on to guilt and shame doesn’t help one get free.”

The best way to handle emotional pain from the past is through forgiveness and not vengeance. The author is good at art. Art and music were her therapies during her healing process; hence, this book's pages were beautifully designed. Looking at the designs was therapeutic.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. However, it has more than ten typographical errors. Due to the errors, I concluded that the narrative was not edited professionally. Consequently, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those who enjoy memoirs and stories about healing from rape and abuse. I noted some profane speech in the book.

A Memoir of Healing & Deliverance from Sex Abuse : The Dirty Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: When a conscience knocks by James G. Skinner

Post by Yvonne Monique »

How could parents ever do something like this to their child? It is just so horribly wrong. I am glad that the author found the strength to overcome this experience and even write a book about it.

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: Hemiphos by Stefanie Jacob

Post by Adanna Inya »

I am gobsmacked! Speechless! What!!! How could her parents do that?! And her pastor too? Oh no! I'm grateful that she rose above it all. I hope that she heals truly and completely.

REIGN GODDESS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reign-goddess.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Post by REIGN GODDESS »

Goodness gracious! How did her parent consent to sexual molestation? 😥
This is the most touching book I must have come across. Thank you for your descriptive review.
我是赢家
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: Hope Rises by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by TCG »

REIGN GODDESS wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 13:04
Goodness gracious! How did her parent consent to sexual molestation? 😥
This is the most touching book I must have come across. Thank you for your descriptive review.
I was dumbfounded too when I read it.

Clancy193
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy193.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Clancy193 »

Yvonne Monique wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 10:22
How could parents ever do something like this to their child? It is just so horribly wrong. I am glad that the author found the strength to overcome this experience and even write a book about it.
Damn..... It's quite shocking!!!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”