Official Review: Longevity by Dr michael Gambacorta

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Kitty Squeak's Ordeal by Donna Pithers

Official Review: Longevity by Dr michael Gambacorta

Post by shannonkate8 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Longevity" by Dr michael Gambacorta.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Longevity: The Future of Healthcare by Dr. Michael Gambacorta and Dr. Torri Gambacorta is a general guide for healthcare providers, those with injuries or illnesses, or anyone with a general curiosity about healthcare. The authors recognize that there are constantly new medical advancements, technology, and treatments, though, with so many advancements, it is difficult to sort through them all. As such, they wrote this book to provide "the most current and effective medical treatments, services, and procedures that can reduce your pain levels and improve your functional performance at any age or health condition." Their goal was to share numerous common practices to expand health and life expectancy, which is achieved with this book.

Dr. Michael Gambacorta and Dr. Torri Gambacorta then address different illnesses, treatments, and practices and update readers with the most modern ideas. For instance, the book starts with the opioid epidemic. They uncover astonishing data, such as the fact that at least eleven million people abused opioids in 2016. They dive deep into this problem, provide information from accredited organizations, answer common questions, give references, and end with key points to remind readers what they discussed. As with this first chapter, they do this for the remaining seventeen. They cover topics like hormone replacement therapy, physical ailments, heart health, and more. It is hard to provide a detailed list of all this information, given the sheer amount, so you will just have to pick this book up for yourself!

As someone who works in a healthcare-related field, I found this remarkably helpful and loved how each chapter was broken down. However, I wish the table of contents reflected all the subtopics, so I could identify the question I wanted to be answered instead of searching for it within the chapter. For a book slightly over four hundred pages, there was much to go through to get to the question I wanted.

The chapter I particularly enjoyed was chapter eight, which discussed digestive health. I enjoyed this as I have recently been hearing about the importance of gut health and have questioned it. However, the authors went into great detail with how it related to all parts of the body and one's health in general. I was shocked to learn that "90% of serotonin is built up in the gut." As someone with mental health conditions, I found this remarkable and just had to know more!

If I had to pick something I disliked or liked least about the book, it would be the length and tone of the book. As I mentioned above, the book is over four hundred pages, which can get tedious at times if you aim to read it in one sitting. I did not for this very reason. In addition, the book is clearly written by academics. While there are benefits to this, such as including references, the authors could be a bit wordy and it did not appear that they wrote this specifically for lay-people. While I could easily understand what was going on, thanks to context and illustrations, there were some sentences that were bogged down with so much information that I had to reread it multiple times.

As such, I have to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is due to the above, my general enjoyment of the book, and grammatical errors found within. Most of the grammatical errors I found were minor, though, given the number of them, I must rate the book as a three.

I would also highly recommend this book. I think it would be great for almost every healthcare provider to have in their office. It is useful to reference and contains much information that is beneficial in providing alternative treatments for patients.

Longevity
View: on Bookshelves
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”