Official Review: Priceless, From Adversity to Advantage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Official Review: Priceless, From Adversity to Advantage

Post by Nkoo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Priceless, From Adversity to Advantage" by Dion E. Price Sr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When we are born, we are not entitled to choose our parents or families. Parenting does not come with a manual. Sometimes, parents raise their children based on the attitude and the behavioral traits modeled before them. The circumstances of their upbringing also play a role in their decisions. When the model is faulty, the outcome is unfavorable for children who grow up in these kinds of abusive homes. They find this behavior to be usual because they repeat the cycle with their children. This pattern justifies the axiom that one cannot give what he/she does not have. This was the unfortunate situation Dion Eric Price Sr. found himself.

In Priceless, From Adversity to Advantage by Dion E. Price Sr., the author seeks to break this somewhat unconscious copycat trend of domestic violence and abuse in households by sharing his heart-wrenching story. With his Master of Clinical Mental Health Counseling, other relevant qualifications, and his life experiences, Price hopes to make a difference in the lives of others facing the same ordeal as he did several years ago. Living with both parents, Price grew up in a blended family in Bristol, Pennsylvania, and he was one of seven children. He was no stranger to adversity; he had a tough childhood because his father was the abuser. Price faced rejection and a low self-worth in his early years. Throughout his childhood years, he endured enormous hardship in a dysfunctional family and he was affected by those experiences in adulthood. He eventually joined the United States Air Force. However, according to him, God revealed to him that his value is more precious than rubies because he is priceless. Subsequently, he rose from being a victim to become a victor. A combination of factors brought about a fundamental change and an eventual turnaround in his life.

The author divided his book into three parts, and it comprises nine chapters. Philosophical quotations that highlight the chapters precede each part. The book is orderly and is written in simple language. Readers will feel the pain and the lack of support the author felt. Readers will find out how his father unleashed terror on the household and how his mother and other siblings dared not utter a word about what went on behind closed doors. Readers will also find out how Price turned to substance abuse and addiction as an escape. As I read about the activities that went on in the author's household, I was awestruck. However, my jaw-dropping reactions were soon followed by outbursts of laughter because of the humor that fastened his stories. He skillfully and comically narrated sensitive issues. Price included pictures in his book to represent every stage of his life; these illustrations bolstered his story.

The best part was that throughout his travails, Price maintained a positive mindset. This positivity can be perceived in his comment when he said: “Sometimes in life, it is the challenges, heartaches, and disappointments that show us our worth and I know after you read this book you will be inspired, encouraged, and motivated.” I also liked the brevity of the book because it was straightforward. It was a quick read because I finished it in one sitting. I salute the author's courage and his decision of not allowing his childhood experiences to mar him.

The brutal honesty in which the author narrated his ordeal was striking because he left nothing to the imagination. I like the mindset he now adopts about his childhood travails. He knew that his parents' upbringing influenced their pattern of parenting. He urges readers who can relate to abuse or neglect from their parents to find out the reason it happened, because there may be a reason. He understands that we cannot expect our parents to give us what they never had.

I enjoyed reading Priceless, From Adversity to Advantage. There was nothing I disliked about it. It appeared to be professionally edited because I found a few errors in it. It contains no sexual content or profanity. For the above reasons, I give the book four out of four stars. I did not give it a lower rating because memoirs are educative; this is not an exception. The book is suitable for everyone, particularly readers who enjoy impactful memoirs.

Priceless, From Adversity to Advantage
View: on Bookshelves
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Thanks for your detailed and well-written review and summary. I would love to read the book as it a book that will teach and make a positive impact in the community. Sometimes, when we are passing through some situation that is not favorable; we tend to lose hope, that's one gene in all human. But as the author said, there are reasons why these things are happening, we just need to find out.
It's a great read.
Nice review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Reitumetse_R
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reitumetse-r.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Reitumetse_R »

I so love the message in the book. I would definately love to read as well as have other people read it. nice review
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This one seems like a must read. Domestic violence is very much widespread and we indeed need to have a convo about it. Thanks for such an insightful review 👌
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

This is such a sensitive topic, but so it's so vital to talk about it. Kudos to the author for sharing his personal life experiences and reaching others who go through the same hardships. Your review is well-written and thorough. Well done!
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

It is good to read how the author overcame the adversity and made victories in his life. This is a well written review. Thank you for sharing this book.
Daniel chei
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Daniel chei »

This is so great it talks about family and how effect of where a child is raised from and how wish associate with our children thanks but it has taught me a lot
Daniel chei
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Daniel chei »

:? 8-) This book is so great and has taught me alot about how to associate with a family and even the outcome of raising children
Iyke_Udenze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Iyke_Udenze »

Nice review. I must say that it captured all I needed to look out for. Weldon for a good job!
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Wow. This broke my heart and gave me hope at the same time. I felt bad that Price had to go through all that, but in grateful that he turned his lemons to lemonade and has decided to help people, using his own experience. Beautiful review.
FalcTus
Currently Reading: Thir13en
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falctus.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by FalcTus »

Really this book was so fascinating. The pain of the children who lived in the house that doesn't care about them was greatly carried by the author. “Sometimes in life, it is the challenges, heartaches, and disappointments that show us our worth and I know after you read this book you will be inspired, encouraged, and motivated.”, this line also tells how the author came across the things that change us.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:

Post by Nkoo »

Luluwa79 wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 04:21 Thanks for your detailed and well-written review and summary. I would love to read the book as it a book that will teach and make a positive impact in the community. Sometimes, when we are passing through some situation that is not favorable; we tend to lose hope, that's one gene in all human. But as the author said, there are reasons why these things are happening, we just need to find out.
It's a great read.
Nice review.
Thanks for your time and happy reading.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:

Post by Nkoo »

Reitumetse_R wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 06:16 I so love the message in the book. I would definately love to read as well as have other people read it. nice review
The book surely has a powerful message to promote. Thanks for your time and happy reading.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:

Post by Nkoo »

RHD wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 06:56 This one seems like a must read. Domestic violence is very much widespread and we indeed need to have a convo about it. Thanks for such an insightful review 👌
Thank you for your kind words. I agree with you.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:

Post by Nkoo »

Drianie wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 08:01 This is such a sensitive topic, but so it's so vital to talk about it. Kudos to the author for sharing his personal life experiences and reaching others who go through the same hardships. Your review is well-written and thorough. Well done!
I agree with you; it's a sensitive and hot topic. Thanks for your time.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”