Official Review: My Way Maker by Maurice Ojwang Sr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresam
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: Is the U.S. Office of Personnel Management Responsible for 9/11? by Theodore Pavlopoulos, ScD

Official Review: My Way Maker by Maurice Ojwang Sr

Post by Theresam »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Way Maker" by Maurice Ojwang Sr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Way Maker by Maurice Ojwang Sr. is an inspiring memoir of a man who immigrated to the United States of America from Kenya when he was a young man. Faith, family and education are some of the central themes of this book. Mr. Ojwang was raised as a Seventh-day Adventist. He refers to God as his Way Maker and has faith that He will show him the correct path in his life. All of the confusion and uncertainty he felt in New York City subsided when he found a Seventh-day Adventist church in the Bronx.

Maurice Ojwang did well in his school in Africa where he took his education seriously. However, when he was old enough, he wanted to pursue opportunities in the United States that were not available to him in the area where he lived. He anticipated resistance from his family, but they were very supportive of his dreams for a better life. Once he arrived in New York City, he struggled to find work and a place to live. He no longer had his family nearby to support him financially, so he relied on his Way Maker. He located a church that helped him to get a job and a place to live. Eventually, he was able to afford his own apartment and save enough money to bring his fiancé to New York. He got married and started his own family, but never forgot where he came from. He worked to open a school in the former place where he lived in Africa and became an inspiration to others in achieving their dreams.

I enjoyed reading this book. Maurice Ojwang told his story honestly. He was uncertain when he arrived in a new country on his own, but he had faith that his Way Maker would show him the way. He excelled at his job because he worked hard and took advantage of opportunities. I admired the way he left his family and his home without any fear about how he would make a living. His story will inspire others to let go of the fear that holds them back from making changes in their lives.

The book also provides interesting facts about the time Maurice lived in New York City. He described historical figures that influenced him. For example, he wrote about Nelson Mandela and his beliefs. This added an additional layer to the book. I enjoyed reading about the people that inspired him. I also admired the sacrifices he made to save money to help his family. His siblings valued education and helped each other with school expenses. What I liked most about this book was that Maurice wasn’t afraid to describe his struggles and the obstacles he encountered when he moved to a new country. There was nothing that I disliked about this book.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading inspiring stories about real people who overcame obstacles to achieve their goals. There was no profanity or sexual situations in this book, so it is appropriate for any age. There is a heavy reliance on religion in the book, so I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who doesn’t enjoy books about faith and religion. There are numerous errors that prevent me from giving this book a perfect score. For this reason, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

My Way Maker
View: on Bookshelves

emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by emidio125 »

I didn't have the opportunity to read this book. Therefore, I think you made a very insightful description about it. Congratulations!

Flora3 Witney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora3-witney.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by Flora3 Witney »

Thank you for review. I have just migrated to a new town and am experiencing alot of anxieties. The review has created an insight as it has narrated how the author managed and succeed in a new country. I have to read the book myself.

Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

Migration often comes with much problems. However, I'll pass on this one. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”