Official Review: P.S.S.T.- Public School Speech Therapist

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Official Review: P.S.S.T.- Public School Speech Therapist

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "P.S.S.T.- Public School Speech Therapist" by W. Ray.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

P.S.S.T. Public School Speech Therapist: (The Best Kept Secret in the Public Schools), by W. Ray, is a relatively short, non-fiction book. A professional speech-language pathologist, W. Ray uses the experiences (positive, negative, humorous, or bizarre) she encountered while working in several states for over sixteen years to take us on an enlightening and sometimes amusing journey through the life of a speech therapist in a public-school setting.

Through the years, she found the position to be a highly stressful job that was often underappreciated by both teachers and administration. This proved to be the case regardless of the location or stated policies of the school systems in which she worked. Because of this widespread tendency by school faculty, staff, and administration to discount the merit of the position, Ray felt a need to raise awareness about public-school speech therapists' value and importance. Her goal is to engender more recognition and support for these therapists and what they do every day, both with and for students.

Among the issues addressed in the book are the challenges faced by speech therapists working in several schools when they have no permanent office. She also discusses the loneliness the position can bring in the absence of the much-needed respect from and camaraderie with fellow teachers. A similar lack of respect and understanding originates with the administration when the speech therapist, regarded as ‘supplementary’ personnel, is assigned paperwork or duties having nothing to do with their position. These are only a few of the issues the author addresses.

My favorite thing about the book was the thread of humor woven throughout the narrative, regardless of the subject being discussed. Ray includes amusing stories related to these issues and easily conveys her love of the job and the work she does with children. Her style of writing is clear, uncomplicated, and engaging. Having worked for twenty-plus years in several public-school systems, I found this book quite interesting. When I taught Special Education, my position was also considered ‘supplementary’ by some principals and teachers. This allowed me to empathize with Ray’s experiences more easily.

There was nothing I truly disliked about the book, and if I could score it solely on its clarity and relevance, as well as my enjoyment of it, I would award it a solid four stars. However, the many punctuation errors found in the text prevent me from doing this. Although these mistakes affected my enjoyment of the book very little, they numbered far more than ten. Therefore, I must reluctantly drop a star and score the book at 3 out of 4 stars.

Though targeted at public school educators and administrators, as well as public-school speech therapists, the book might also interest those looking to enter the profession as it discusses situations unique to the speech-therapist position. Those who have not worked in the education sector may not find it engaging. I strongly encourage all public-school educators and administrators who work in any capacity with an in-school speech therapist to read the book. It will be very enlightening.

P.S.S.T.- Public School Speech Therapist
View: on Bookshelves
Books are my self-medication. 8)
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

Good job on the review! I find it odd that a speech-language pathologist would publish with so many errors. I wonder what happened when editing? This sounds like an entertaining book with a good purpose. All school professionals can be undervalued at times, but I know that SLPs can get lost in the shuffle frequently. Thanks for the review!
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte
Hailey_duchess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-duchess.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Hailey_duchess »

Sounds like an interesting book with an unusual background! Since I myself have gone to speech therapy, I am able to empathize with and appreciate the work these terapists do on their daily basis and how invaluable they are for children with speech problems.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I love books with good humor! Thanks a lot for the great review and recommendation.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

CharlieMax1516 wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 17:30 Good job on the review! I find it odd that a speech-language pathologist would publish with so many errors. I wonder what happened when editing? This sounds like an entertaining book with a good purpose. All school professionals can be undervalued at times, but I know that SLPs can get lost in the shuffle frequently. Thanks for the review!
Not every writer is great at punctuation, but that's one thing proofreaders are supposed to catch. It looks like maybe she should try a different proofreader if she gives it another edit. It's sad that a professional who is just as essential as the teachers would be shuffled around the way she was. Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Hailey_duchess wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 02:58 Sounds like an interesting book with an unusual background! Since I myself have gone to speech therapy, I am able to empathize with and appreciate the work these terapists do on their daily basis and how invaluable they are for children with speech problems.
I found it quite interesting, having a background in education myself. I hope all those who have worked with a speech therapist have your sense of empathy! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Saint Bruno wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 08:26 I love books with good humor! Thanks a lot for the great review and recommendation.
You're welcome! She did a great job of interspersing humor throughout the book. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems quite informative. I’m sure I’ll like this book. Thanks for your insightful review!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 02:03 This book seems quite informative. I’m sure I’ll like this book. Thanks for your insightful review!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

In this book it's speech therapy. I hope to see other underappreciated professionals speak up and enlighten society about their jobs. I enjoyed reading your review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

This background is quite unique because it is not very common. It must be frustrating to be undervalued even when you know how majorly threaded the subject of your career is in every human life even that of those that undervalue it. I’m curious to see how the element of humor was woven into this book.

Thank you for a comprehensive and wonderful review!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Eutoc wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 01:17 In this book it's speech therapy. I hope to see other underappreciated professionals speak up and enlighten society about their jobs. I enjoyed reading your review.
Exactly, there are professions, including that of speech therapists, that are undervalued by those they work with. Some are undervalued by almost everyone (janitorial work comes to mind). I'm glad you enjoyed the review, and thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Pearl Akpan wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 07:49 This background is quite unique because it is not very common. It must be frustrating to be undervalued even when you know how majorly threaded the subject of your career is in every human life even that of those that undervalue it. I’m curious to see how the element of humor was woven into this book.

Thank you for a comprehensive and wonderful review!
I'm glad you enjoyed the review! Yes, as the author communicated in the book, having yourself (through your career) undervalued is difficult in the extreme, especially when you know the worth of what you're doing. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

An overlook profession rightly advocated in a book that can be useful to all the people who work in school. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This book looks like an amusing and enlightening journey of the author in the field of speech therapist. Thanks for your honest review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”