Official Review: Product Takeoff

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bjoly2
Currently Reading: Never Eat Alone
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bjoly2.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Official Review: Product Takeoff

Post by bjoly2 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Product Takeoff" by Navjot Singh and Kamal Manglani.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Product Takeoff by Navjot Singh and Kamal Manglani is a comprehensive guide to product managers' roles and responsibilities in creating top-quality software products. This book can serve as a resource for someone looking to transition into a product manager role or as a refresher for someone who has been in the field for a while.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It encourages interaction and application of the concepts instead of the dry reading that often accompanies software books. The story is well-edited and seamlessly combines explanations, case studies, and activities.

The book is full of nuggets of product wisdom like, "Only through proximity to the customer will we discover the right problem to solve." It's simple ideas like this that many product managers can miss when they get bogged down with day-to-day duties. As someone who spent nearly a decade working in software, this book is an excellent introduction to a qualified product manager's responsibilities and how they relate to the rest of the team. Software development and successful products are truly a whole team effort, and this book emphasizes that point throughout.

My favorite part about this book is the varied and relevant case studies the authors use. They explore products that most people with smartphones are intimately familiar with, like Waze, PayPal, and Uber. Understanding how these large companies have found success in seeking out customer feedback to change their products better allows the concepts to hit home in a relatable way.

While I appreciate that this story kept the concepts high-level, it also led to my least favorite aspect of the book: I wish it went more in-depth in some areas. The section about listening to the customer brings up the concept of empathy mapping, which seems intriguing and an excellent way to connect with consumers. But it goes on to say, "we won't discuss empathy maps in depth." I understand the need to keep the book concise and referencable, but it seems that something like an empathy map could hold a lot of value for a product manager and wouldn't take much space to explain.

I would recommend this book to audiences who have a vested interest in products related to software applications. While some of the concepts like listening to your audience and the need for innovation apply to physical products, most of the book is specific to products that arise out of software development. Even so, I think any employee who works towards creating happy customers could pull at least some wisdom from this book.

Product Takeoff
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Very insightful. From the review it looks like even normal business owners still have much to benefit from the book. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Mohammed_Sameer2
Favorite Author: Marcel Proust (Author)
Favorite Book: Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time, Vol. 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 221667

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

A beautiful review of the main ideas of the book bjoly2, and you also revealed the importance of human emotion and directions in the context of development of products. With my best wishes.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Product managers are responsible for guiding the success of a product and leading the cross-functional team that is responsible for improving it. However, to best manage a product as it launches to stardom, you need a guide else a poor product may end up doing better than a fantastic product. Very resourceful review and book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”