Official Review: A Voice For The Silent Ones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi_78
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: My Living Will
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Official Review: A Voice For The Silent Ones

Post by Kirsi_78 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Voice For The Silent Ones" by Kimberly Stratton.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Now and then, depending on where we live, we pass by a homeless woman pushing her earthly possessions in a shopping cart or a homeless man sleeping on a bench in the park. Have you ever wondered why and how they ended up where they are? Or did you look the other way and hastened the pace of your footsteps, hoping to get away as fast as possible? The author Kimberly Stratton halted her steps and dared to ask them why. What she learned is written inside of the pages of A Voice For The Silent Ones.

When I first discovered A Voice For The Silent Ones, I undoubtedly wanted to read this book. So many times had I wondered about the fates and stories of homeless people. Hence, I loved the author’s idea of giving a voice to them. This short book includes 30 stories of homeless people, told exactly the way the protagonists themselves have told them. Included were stories about people with drug or alcohol problems, financial problems, family related problems, identity problems, to mention a few. As was stated in the book, practically anybody can become homeless. Sometimes all that it takes is a bit of bad luck. False words spoken upon your life or being in the wrong place at the wrong time can sometimes be enough. Homeless people are human beings, just like the rest of us. Therefore, I believe their stories deserve to be told, and the author’s attempt to do so is worthy of respect.

Unfortunately, A Voice For The Silent Ones by Kimberly Stratton appeared to be quite raw. Firstly, I felt that the layout was lacking in many reader-friendly aspects. The chosen fonts and font colors gave an unprofessional impression. Secondly, I felt that the implementation of this book had not been thoroughly considered. The author went right into the point – telling the stories of the homeless exactly as the homeless told them. I was missing some background information and would have at least liked to know how and where the author met these people. The book was divided into 30 short chapters, telling the stories of 30 homeless people. Every chapter title revealed the reason for each protagonist's homelessness. Reading the chapter didn't provide new information, and this took away the joy – or the pain – of discovery. It would have been appropriate to name the chapters differently and let the readers explore the reasons for homelessness.

As I knew to expect, the stories of the homeless were heartbreaking. Unfortunately, there were many details in this book that need improvement. The language was mostly faultless, as I encountered only a few typos. Even so, it would not feel right to give this book more than 2 out of 4 stars. A Voice For The Silent Ones has enormous potential, but it needs to undergo the hands of an experienced editor due to the abovementioned issues. I admire the work and calling of the author Kimberly Stratton, but I also believe the homeless deserve the best book one can write. Therefore, I hope the author would seek guidance from book professionals to make this book stand out from the crowd – for the sake of the homeless.

If this piece is to undergo the necessary editorial work, I would love to recommend it to anyone who has ever stopped to wonder, with one exception. Since the destinies of the protagonists are mostly rough and ugly, the book might not be suitable for minors. If the fates of the homeless break your heart, you should consider reading this book. Even more so, if the fates of these people make you feel disgusted. By and large, we need more understanding and more compassion towards our fellow human beings, and right there lies the strength of this book.

A Voice For The Silent Ones
View: on Bookshelves
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Memoirs of a Wren by Jenny Grinwis

Post by Drianie »

What a well-structured and to-the-point review! There is no doubt that the author can use your valuable feedback to create a book that will do justice to the homeless. Well done!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: This Our Faith by John Leslie Hart

Post by Ellylion »

A powerful premise unfortunately fells short, I believe. But the book speaks about very important subject and hopefully finds its reader :) Great review!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Drianie wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 03:14 What a well-structured and to-the-point review! There is no doubt that the author can use your valuable feedback to create a book that will do justice to the homeless. Well done!
Thank you very much for your encouraging words! :tiphat:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Mythical Creatures and Magical Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Blood Vengeance by Charles Alexander

Post by NetMassimo »

The theme is important, but the books seems in need for more editing to be readable and look professional. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Ellylion wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 04:06 A powerful premise unfortunately fells short, I believe. But the book speaks about very important subject and hopefully finds its reader :) Great review!
Yes, the subject is indeed very important. Thanks for your kind words!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

NetMassimo wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 08:31 The theme is important, but the books seems in need for more editing to be readable and look professional. Thank you for your honest review!
Yes, the book really needs some more work in order to become one of the great books. But it does have all ingredients for that! Thanks for stopping by!
EnobongGold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by EnobongGold »

The title and the theme of the book is very captivating and irresistible.
The feedback here is great but the book needs professional editors to work on it and make it stand out and bring out the subject it was meant to portray
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Joey - The Man from Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: 31 Days Life Changing Journal by Maxine K Briown

Post by kdstrack »

The author did a tremendous job of gathering information for these stories. Many people do wonder how a person ends up in a homeless condition, and these stories would be enlightening. I hope the author will polish up the text so more people can benefit from her work.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

I commend the author for focusing on such an important theme. Seemingly an emotional book, but I'm interested in reading this. Thanks for the great review!
diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading: Fortune and Glory
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Clubhouse by Vincent Mirante
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

I, like many others, sit in my car at the stoplight and wonder about the woman standing on the corner with her sign asking for money. Maybe a book like this would help me to understand her situation.
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

EnobongGold wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 15:42 The title and the theme of the book is very captivating and irresistible.
The feedback here is great but the book needs professional editors to work on it and make it stand out and bring out the subject it was meant to portray
It is indeed an important topic. Thanks for commenting!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

kdstrack wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 16:35 The author did a tremendous job of gathering information for these stories. Many people do wonder how a person ends up in a homeless condition, and these stories would be enlightening. I hope the author will polish up the text so more people can benefit from her work.
What is really heartbreaking is that many in this book were quite average persons before they became homeless. Not exactly what we might expect...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! 😊
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Erandi Ekanayake wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 22:17 I commend the author for focusing on such an important theme. Seemingly an emotional book, but I'm interested in reading this. Thanks for the great review!
If you're interested, then you should definitely read this book. Thanks for your kind words!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

diana lowery wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 08:38 I, like many others, sit in my car at the stoplight and wonder about the woman standing on the corner with her sign asking for money. Maybe a book like this would help me to understand her situation.
Yes, I found myself wondering in similar situations so many times. This book did open my eyes to the wide variety of reasons why some of us end up homeless. It is really not only the addictions as we often tend to think...

Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”