Review by provy -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
provy
Favorite Book: Until November
Currently Reading: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-provy.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Review by provy -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by provy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones, an autobiography by Jorge P Newbery is an inspiring story of hard work, passion, determination and mostly not giving up on your dreams. It follows the life of Jorge P Newbery from the time he was a seven year old to the time he becomes an adult.

The book shows Jorge as a caricature of the phrase “Jack of all trades”. He dabbles in a lot of professions from a very young age, from delivering newspapers, selling ice creams, being a record producer, a cyclist, a loan officer and a real estate mogul. In all of these jobs, he always pushes himself to be the best, never settling for mediocrity and when he felt he had conquered one field, he looked for a new challenge. The author clearly shows that it is sometimes crucial to take risks in life and take the road which is often unconventional, this is illustrated when he decided to drop out of high school instead of pursuing a college career, which is often viewed by society, as a safe path.

The main theme of the book is never giving up, even when facing life's many challenges. The book notes that, success follows those who find themselves first before chasing success. One must know what he or she wants before going after anything in life. The author also tackles smaller but important themes, such as a love of family, indicating that one can get through any obstacle with the support and love of family. Moreover, Jorge P Newbery highlights the much controversial issue of racism, indicating that, as society, we still have a long way to go before this world is truly fair and just to every race. Another smaller theme that the book talks about is that, good people with good morals do not always receive good treatment, good deeds are not always reciprocated but it is still crucial to be good. Last but not least, the author shows that while confidence is important for success, overconfidence can often lead to a downfall.

I loved that the author included pictures in the book, I felt they added a depth and realism to the story of Jorge P Newbery. The pictures make it easier for the reader to connect with the author and I felt like I was seeing the author's life through his eyes. In addition, I got to witness the people who surrounded him and those who helped him to become a success.

Burn Zones does not contain any erotic scenes but, it does however, contain some profane words(mostly from reported speech), the book is not extremely vulgar, and one can enjoy the motivational story, without the distractions of much swearing. I would not recommend this book to those that are extremely particular about profanity, however, if the reader can overlook the minimal profane words in the book, then this book is definitely for them. The book is well edited with minimal typos, meaning the reader gets to enjoy without the constant distraction of typos. This book is suitable for any adult who loves autobiographies or motivational books and can be read by anyone regardless of race and religion.

I loved absolutely everything about the book, from the way the author delivers the story to the tidbits of pictures throughout the book. Also, the exceptional editing and grammar made the story enjoyable and a must read. I have therefore decided to rate this book 4 stars out of 4 as I see no reason to rob it of a perfect rating. The author did an amazing job with Burn Zones.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”