Official Review: Lord of the Skies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: Hope Rises by Dr. Randy Ross

Official Review: Lord of the Skies

Post by TCG »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lord of the Skies" by Alasdair Douglas-Hamilton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alasdair Douglas-Hamilton wrote Lord of the Skies. The author intends to reveal the personality of his father, Lord Malcolm Douglas-Hamilton. Lord Malcolm died before he could see his grandchildren. This book is a biography of Lord Malcolm, who was a popular expert in aircraft in Scotland. The story begins with the mysterious disappearance of Lord Malcolm. He traveled from New York City to Kinshasa in Congo. Unknown to him, Mount Cameroun had a mineral content that was dangerous to an aircraft. This mineral content can cause a magnetic variation on aircraft. The French Air Force knew about this danger but did not disclose it. By reading this book, readers will find out what happened to Lord Malcolm. Was it a conspiracy?

From this book, the author revealed the history of his father and his family entirely. He talked about his father’s achievements and his political aspirations. From this book, readers will be excited to find out the failures and successes of Lord Malcolm.

In my opinion, this book was an expression of love from the author to his father. He documented his father’s historical journey in life and the impact it had on him while he was growing up. I felt I should do likewise for my father.

What I liked most about this book was that the author included historical photographs of his father and pictures of other events that happened in Lord Malcolm’s life. Watching the photos was an emotional experience for me. For instance, I loved the sight of pictures of aircraft and Mount Cameroun. It made me believe what the author said about his father. Also, I liked the fact that the author was accurate about the dates of these events. He gave the date for almost every event that happened in the life of his father.

However, there were several challenges I encountered as I was reading this book. This narrative was too detailed and hard to follow. What I disliked most about this novel was that it had several punctuation errors. The tale was full of quotes and excerpts, and the author did not correctly use his punctuations. Also, the editing of this story was unprofessional. Due to the poor editing, it slowed the pace of the novel and made it less enjoyable. This book was not formatted thoroughly. For instance, some phrases like “Thus, my” were written as “Thusmy.”

Due to the numerous grammar and punctuation errors in this book, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not remove another star because I found the story realistic. This tale has an instance of a profane speech. I recommend this book to those who love memoirs and autobiographies.

To buy a copy of this book, please send an email to adh.cth1114@gmail.com

Lord of the Skies
View: on Bookshelves

RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by RHD »

This memoir is a bit different as it's written in praise of a father. Again it takes us all the way from America to Africa. Good job on the review 👏

Drianie
Currently Reading: Juliet, Naked
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Drianie »

I love that the author included photographs and pictures of his father's journey. This makes the reading experience so much more enjoyable. Thanks for your well-written review!

FalcTus
Currently Reading: Thir13en
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falctus.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by FalcTus »

Really writing a book about his father was really great. And that too his father's death was not as natural and the may be he was too emotional to the scene. This book seems great for reading. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”