Official Review: Antichrist Caught In The Acts by Betty Lee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
damis
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Antichrist Caught In The Acts by Betty Lee

Official Review: Antichrist Caught In The Acts by Betty Lee

Post by damis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Antichrist Caught In The Acts" by Betty Lee.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Usually, my recommendations and trigger-warnings remain at the bottom of the reviews I write. In this case, I think it is necessary to be clear from the beginning. Though supposedly meant for Christians Antichrist Caught In The Acts by Betty Lee is not a Christian book. The author purposefully dismisses the foundations of the Christian faith, disregarding all together 60% of the New Testament. That's why the text in general, and the content of this review, should be handled carefully. Especially by people easily triggered when someone makes statements that go directly against what they believe and people that do not wish to entail in theological discussions. If this is your case, I suggest you not to read it.

The main purpose of the book is to reveal a possible candidate for the "Antichrist" title. Escatology though polemic, is one of the most relevant foundations of the Christian faith. That's why I decided to review this book in the first place. However, it didn't take me long to realize that the author (I'm unsure if purposefully or not) completely ignores the established rules of interpretation. It is a clear case of a text out of context that becomes a pretext if you know what I mean. Interpretation rules and guidelines are necessary, not only to discuss the Bible but also for any other book. The author fails to follow them.

The first thing the reader finds in the book is an explanation of the Antichrist and his effects on humanity. Eventually, it jumps to the conclusion of Paul being the Antichrist. Whether the author is right nor wrong is not my place to discuss. What I can say, however, is that the great majority of the book goes directly against the prevailing foundations of Christianity, including the Bible itself.

Admittedly, I don't have much to say against the editorial work gone into the book. The formatting is clear and easy-to-understand, and I didn't find enough errors that led me to think otherwise. Being objective, I cannot take a star from my rate due to these minor errors. However, I honestly believe the content of this book could potentially trigger or upset more people than the people that would enjoy reading it. That's why I will rate this book two out of four stars.

Here is where I usually recommend the book. Well, I don't. However, that's a matter of personal preference, and I am aware that people that enjoy non-canonic explanations of the Bible might find it interesting.

Antichrist Caught In The Acts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

sssns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

This looks like a controversial topic. Were there citations to support the discussion? Thanks for the review and recommendation.

damis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Antichrist Caught In The Acts by Betty Lee

Post by damis »

sssns wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 04:01
This looks like a controversial topic. Were there citations to support the discussion? Thanks for the review and recommendation.
Well yes, there were biblical citations. However they were out of context. For example there's a mention of Paul being "the viper" because he was a "Very Important Person" so VIP-ER. There's a chapter where the author claims neither Saul nor David or Salomon even existed and quotes the bible just to say tht Saul was the devil and thus, Paul was the devil as well. So yes, in theory it uses the bible, but as I said, it completely ignores any background context and simply takes random verses when convenient.

raluca_mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: My Name is Red
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Thank you for sharing your honest opinion regarding this book! It's a controversial topic, but some people might be interested in learning more about this point of view.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Ellylion »

This book is definitely not for me, but I enjoyed your great review! :)

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

I guess to understand the book, one needs to have an idea of what the bible says, which I don't, as I am not a Christian. I appreciate your honest review. Thanks!

Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Yvonne Monique »

To make such a statement as suggested in the book title, one must have thorough knowledge of the Bible itself. I'm not sure if the author underestimated the task she undertook. A very honest review, congratulations.

CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

I appreciate your honest review of this book. It sounds like one I will probably avoid reading, but I enjoyed reading your synopsis of it. I am curious about the author’s intentions with the book...purposeful controversy, her true interpretation, or both?
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nqobile771 »

Thanks for the warning, I do not think I will enjoy reading this book. I welcome people with different beliefs but do not appreciate it when mine is under attack. Great review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabulous mind »

I think the content of this book might annoy me while reading. So, its best I avoid it. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”