Official Review: Twenty Keys For Me by Joel Freedman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Twenty Keys For Me by Joel Freedman

Official Review: Twenty Keys For Me by Joel Freedman

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twenty Keys For Me" by Joel Freedman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When the COVID-19 pandemic broke out, business manager and entrepreneur Joel Freedman faced quite a hardship. The stay-at-home order in Freedman’s area put him out of work. He anticipated that the results from his previous few years of work would not remain intact during the crisis. Yet, because Freedman made important career advances in the past, he believed he could do so again by keeping his skills fresh. As a part of his efforts, he compiled professional tips into a guide titled Twenty Keys For Me: The Relentless Pursuit for Success.

Although some basic principles in Freedman’s guide may apply to success in a general sense, the author focuses on success in business. This clear, straightforward, and concise guide should especially appeal to sales professionals and existing or aspiring entrepreneurs. In each of the twenty short chapters, the author presents the context of a tip for success, guidance on how to follow that tip, and a closing line to summarize the chapter. Because the author lays out each key in a page or less, readers can easily read one key per day for twenty workdays, as the author intends. Freedman’s approach respects the reader’s time, and while the author’s tips are not elaborate, they are substantive.

Now, to keep his guide to the point, the author purposely avoids using anecdotes to illustrate his twenty keys. However, certain readers would not mind taking a bit more time to read this book if there were anecdotes accompanying at least a few of the author’s tips. Even quick but personal stories can help some audiences to retain information better. Stories add a human touch and significance to advice, and some readers are more likely to forget a book or its information if it seems impersonal. Still, the intentional absence of storytelling in this guide is a matter of style and preference. Freedman’s brief, direct advice should be helpful for readers who retain information well without stories.

However, one definite weakness in the book is its moderate number of technical errors. The issue of missing or incorrect punctuation appears throughout the guide, especially where compound nouns and modifiers are concerned. Also, the author’s capitalization choices are inconsistent, as he treats common nouns as proper nouns at times.

Overall, this short book of wise and uncomplicated keys can help business-minded individuals to sharpen their professional skills in a time-saving manner. Even so, correcting the minor grammar and punctuation errors throughout the book would give it greater technical polish. Therefore, I give Twenty Keys For Me: The Relentless Pursuit for Success a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to business professionals who would appreciate quick tips to hone their skills. I would not necessarily recommend it to readers who retain information best through content that provides a personal touch.

Twenty Keys For Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Kevivas03
2019 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

Anecdotes add credibility to a book and these should not have been left out. This is a good book that urges people to press on even though we are in unprecedented times. Splendid review!

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

A book with useful information for business owners is very important nowadays, as every piece of information might be the missing step to success. Thank you for for informative review!

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

As human beings, books with fascinating stories are hard to put down; the stories stay with us for a long time.

AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Well done for a detailed review Nadine! The context of the book is appropriate for this time when many of us are suffering an economic crisis due to job loss or business going slow. I am satisfied to read that the tips given are substantive. I too would prefer a book with background stories.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White

AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Tablito wrote: ↑
15 Oct 2020, 09:55
As human beings, books with fascinating stories are hard to put down; the stories stay with us for a long time.
True, that must be the reason why young children are told moral stories.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

Thanks for explaining how hte business tips in this book connect to current events. This sounds interesting for readers who are in the business field.

NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Twenty Keys For Me by Joel Freedman

Post by NadineTimes10 »

I'm actually going to be keeping this book for future reference, and that's not something I do with all books I review. :)

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Wow already salivating for this book,aa I would like to adventure into the field of business,thid must be a great book for a beginner like me.Great review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence

shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: The Girl in the mural by Iris
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

This book would be relates better in this time of the pandemic. With the economic crises faced around the world, this book can be more relatable to us. And your review was great as well, it helped me judge the book better

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

This seems to be a quick read. I wish the author had shared some stories in the book as it makes the content more relatable. I might want to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing. :)

Samwisekoop
Currently Reading: Perfection and Other Illusive Things
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Samwisekoop »

Sounds good! Thanks for an informative review!
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”