Official Review: From nowhere to now here by Annick Guirate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zee_Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: The Saga of Bridget and Amanda Book Two by Carole Love Forbes

Official Review: From nowhere to now here by Annick Guirate

Post by Zee_Zee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From nowhere to now here" by Annick Guirate.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life has its ups and downs — trouble times, breakthrough times, and victory times. This is a fact that Annick Guirate portrays in the book, From Nowhere to Now Here.

This book told the story of a young, biracial girl named Nikki. Nikki began life in unfortunate circumstances living with her step-mother, Mara, who she described as a witch, and her father, Pierre, was hardly ever home. Nikki lived through verbal, emotional and physical abuse in the hands of her father and her step-mother. Also, she had the idea that her mother never wanted her — a statement her father programmed into her mind. At age 9, Nikki was forced to babysit a newborn and a one-year-old without adult supervision, coerced into theft, wrongly accused, and didn't even have a voice in the face of her father. When Nikki ran into trouble at school and feared home would be unbearable for her, she devised a plan to run away from home. What would the world out there hold for Nikki?

In this book, Annick Guirate tells a beautiful story using the first-person narrative. She highlights child abuse and child psychology consultancy(child support) as the core themes in this story. With an easy-to-read storyline, not too many pages to cover, and a little humor, the reader moves on to the next page with so much excitement and can't wait to get to the last page. This book has 17 chapters with titles, giving the reader what to expect in each chapter. I love Nikki's character — her smartness, talents, relationship with her friends, and boldness. I also love how she transitions in her role. The author's portrayal of Nikki's character is what I like most about the book.

There was nothing to dislike about this book as I loved every bit of it. I found Nikki's life story to be inspiring and amusing, and it did feel like I was watching a movie. This book contained minimal use of profane words and minor grammatical and typographical errors, which were not disconcerting.

Despite the errors, and knowing that even the best-sellers contain minimal errors, I'd rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as it could pass for a professionally edited book. Lovers of autobiographies and inspirational books would have a swell time reading this book. This book will also be best suited to young adults as they could learn a thing or two from Nikki's story.

From nowhere to now here
View: on Bookshelves

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

I've just realised the power in the word Nowhere. Life is really about how you perceive it! It's either you look at yourself and realise you are nowhere in life (negative perspective) or realise that you are now here (positive perspective) , and explore options to move from "here". Profound! Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Drianie »

I'm putting this on my to-read list. The inspirational story, combined with humor, sounds like a relatable book from which anyone can draw valuable life lessons.

RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by RHD »

Thus one seems like an exciting read.
Nikki represents so many girls out here. Thanks for such an insightful review 👌

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

The title of the book is really intriguing. I believe it is the challenges in our lives that bring us from 'nowhere' to 'now here'. And that's what Nikki did. Facing her life challenges of physical and emotional abuse, and emerging out of it as a bold and strong individual. I wonder how many kids have to go through such abuses and challenges in their lives. I wish we could develop a better world for them. Thanks for such a great review. 👍

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”