Official Review: Dying to See You by Micky Havelock

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Dying to See You by Micky Havelock

Official Review: Dying to See You by Micky Havelock

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dying to See You" by Micky Havelock.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Traumatic events force us to reexamine our lives and view things from a different perspective. Usually, these fateful encounters help us reconnect to ourselves and uncover insights buried within our minds rather than revealing hidden secrets or unfathomable truths. Micky Havelock's Dying to See You offers the author's account of her own fateful encounter during a near-death experience and how it set her on a path of self-discovery.

The book consists of seventeen chapters. The first half recounts the author's emergency trip to the hospital following a cardiac arrest and subsequent near-death experience, while the second half focuses on the aftermath. The book aims to bring some of the hope, comfort, and positive insights Havelock received from her spiritual journey to the reader.

During her trip to the other realm, Havelock met her husband, Iain, who had passed away four years earlier, as well as her grandparents and aunt. She learned about the spiritual world's inner workings while being embraced by pure, overwhelming love. Havelock was unwilling to part with her loved ones again, which renewed her grief afterward. She also felt guilty and selfish for wanting to leave her children and remaining family on Earth, bottling up her thoughts and experiences due to fearing that no one would understand.

Though spirituality plays a central role in the narrative, the author invokes universal themes, desires, and fears while capturing the reader's heart through relatable writing regardless of their beliefs. I particularly enjoyed the book's use of stream-of-consciousness narration to depict the turbulent emotional states caused by depression, anxiety, and other mental conditions: "I was overcome with panic. Panic at leaving him, panic that I'd left my kids. No, wait, I needed more time. More time to be with him, more time to hold him, more time to… Iain shoved me."

Unfortunately, the writing sometimes falls flat due to technical issues. Besides typographical and grammatical errors, problems include irregular comma usage, confusing sentences, awkward phrasing, and poor word choice. These issues aren't egregious and don't happen too often but still temporarily break the reader's immersion. The book would likely benefit from another round of editing.

Dying to See You is a great companion to every reader on a quest to authenticity and purpose. While the book should appeal to spiritual-minded people, especially those interested in near-death experiences and the afterlife, fans of self-help literature in general can also find plenty to enjoy. That said, since I feel the writing needs a bit more polish, I rate the title 3 out of 4 stars. There are only a few borderline profanities and no particularly inappropriate content, so the book is suitable for most audiences.

Dying to See You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

The author's experience proves that darkness has a way of thrusting you to the light. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

We must take a good look inside to understand who we really are and what we want. And near-death experience tend to force you to introspection. Thank you for the informative review and your honest opinion!

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

I think the title fits really well with what the author has experienced. As the book's base lies in spirituality, I will like to give this a try. Thanks for such a nice review. :)

Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Yvonne Monique »

A very appropriate book title! I find this topic very interesting and your review contributes to that. Thank you

adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

Near-death experiences of knowing what's beyond life are pretty interesting from a lot of people's perspective. It's nice that the book explores that concept well even with the technical problems. Thanks for the review! ^^

Jamalo Morocco
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jamalo Morocco »

Its a nice story based on some spiritual facts but to be honest we have to try to see in ourselves before doing something

CherylGweth
Currently Reading: Learn to Love
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherylgweth.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by CherylGweth »

This book gives the reader an understanding of how life goes on in the spirit realm after we have left this earthly life. Honestly, this is a must-read for me. Thanks for the review.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Ellylion »

The book seems to be so enlightening and inspiring :) I would definitely read it! Thank you so much for a great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”