Official Review: Zimbabwe Safari by Tim Good

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Zimbabwe Safari by Tim Good

Official Review: Zimbabwe Safari by Tim Good

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zimbabwe Safari" by Tim Good.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zimbabwe Safari by Tim Good is a memoir of the author’s trophy hunts in Zimbabwe. The writer goes over many of his memories while hunting wild animals in Africa. He includes many pictures of his trophies, while he employs simple language and dialogue to narrate the stories of his hunts.

The writer begins by sharing his passion for hunting in Africa. He says that from a young age he was thrilled by Africa and he began dreaming of going there to hunt wild game. He began his adventure by developing his shooting skills using a bolt-action Winchester .375 Holland and Holland. He decided to hunt in Zimbabwe, while he mentions the jetlag he felt after landing in Zimbabwe. He explains the necessity of malaria pills in Africa, and he describes the various dangerous animals he would be hunting. The author describes the hut in which he lived, and the meals he shared with other professional hunters. In all his hunts, he would be accompanied by other professional hunters and trackers, but he would be the one shooting the animals and taking the trophies. Also, expensive hunting licenses are required to hunt wild game in Africa, and one must be careful not to kill endangered animals.

One of the things I enjoyed in this book was the originality in the memoir. The author went over his memories in a unique way, creating a sense of individuality in the text. Moreover, the writer adds suspense and excitement to his memoir by using dialogue and narrative techniques, which grasp the reader’s interest. Furthermore, I admired the book’s professional editing, which is evident from the fact that I only saw one error in the entire memoir. What I liked most about this book were the sketches and pictures included in the text. The pictures not only added liveliness to the memoir, but they also gave the reader more information about the writer’s stories. This book contained only positive characteristics, so I disliked nothing in this book.

This book is best suited for readers who enjoy hunting and have some knowledge of Africa. There are some profane words in the text, so young readers should not read this memoir. There are plenty of pictures of dead animals in the memoir, which means that sensitive readers, or readers who fight for animal rights, are not eligible to read this book. Both religious and atheist readers can read and enjoy this memoir.

In conclusion, I rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. This is because the book was perfectly edited, expertly compiled, and originally written.

Zimbabwe Safari
View: on Bookshelves

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I love that it is perfectly edited. However, memoirs have never been my cup of tea. I'll pass this one.

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

Tim pursues his rare dream; hunting wild game in Africa irregardless of the expensive hunting licenses required.

MURANGA9
Currently Reading: The Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by MURANGA9 »

Awesome review though I rarely read memoirs. I think I should give this one a try.

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Thank you for your review! I'd love to find out more about Africa, but I can't stand hunting, and I don't understand why people do that for fun.

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Memories of a Synchronistic Gap Year by Andrew Cole

Post by Slater678 »

Aa nice book on safari adventures. I hope I can read it. Nice review.

Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Going by the book title, I thought this book would be about enjoying safaris in Zimbabwe. But your review made it clear to me that it's quite the opposite, it's about killing animals in Zimbabwe...so unfortunately not a book I would enjoy.

CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

Thank you for the review. I would not enjoy the subject matter in the book, but I did enjoy your write-up. Good job! :)
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”