Official Review: PROJECT MANAGER: What You Need To Succes...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2 by Jesse Moreno

Official Review: PROJECT MANAGER: What You Need To Succes...

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "PROJECT MANAGER: What You Need To Successfully Implement Your ERP Project" by Christian McClellan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Over the years, there has been a rise in the implementation of ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) systems to increase productivity and ensure that all processes are easily connected and coordinated. While the advantages of implementing an ERP system are numerous, the process of executing this project is not without its pitfalls, which can result in a loss of millions of dollars if not handled properly. The fact that there is a 33% chance of companies not succeeding shows that there is a need for a helpful guide in this field.

Thankfully, Christian McClellan, in his book PROJECT MANAGER: What You Need To Successfully Implement Your ERP Project, attempts to guide the leaders of large businesses on succeeding in this area, including covering key areas from appointing the right project manager and setting up a detailed project plan to the risks that may negatively impact the "Go-live" date, launching the project, and what should be done after it is successful.

In the book's description, the author promises an entertaining and interesting lesson on a topic that can be boring, and while my expectations weren't completely fulfilled in this area, Christian McClellan's clear delivery and high level of detail in his lessons ensure that this well-executed piece will be of great help to its target audience. Considering this, the book deserves a rating of 3 out of 4 from me.

The first thing I was drawn to was the author's experience in this field, as he has worked for almost two decades as a successful consulting independent project manager, with stints at big companies, like Universal Studios and Cendant Corporation. This will help build readers' trust and confidence in his methods. Furthermore, Christian McClellan includes various stories on the job, uniquely, to help illustrate his lessons, especially on the five implementation phases of a project plan. After each story, there is a section titled "Lessons Learned," where the author gives a detailed analysis of what readers should pick up from what went wrong or what went right.

While there are a few charts included, like the color system chart to monitor progress and the project plan charts, the book is not heavy on this feature. However, these charts were employed at relevant points and helped me understand the message better. The author also employs repetition, as the importance of selecting the right project manager and his or her role is reiterated at different points of the book. This was done in moderation, however, and will help to remind readers of important information that they may forget while reading through the text. This was also my favorite part of the book.

I found just three errors while reading. Therefore, the book Is professionally edited. The book's concise nature and organization in chronological order of the steps to take when implementing an ERP project also add to its overall quality. The only area for improvement in this guide is the exclusion of sources or references for some information included, which is my reason for not awarding the maximum rating. Besides that, there's not much to complain about. I would recommend this book to business executives and project managers in large companies interested in executing an ERP project. There are also lessons readers can pick up about honesty, transparency, and mutual respect, which they can apply in life, generally.

PROJECT MANAGER: What You Need To Successfully Implement Your ERP Project
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

sssns
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

I appreciate the "Lessons Learned" section. It will be a helpful reference for analyzing similar projects. I hope the author cites the sources of information that were not included. They may be used as related literature. Thank you so much for the comprehensive review and recommendation.

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

The topic of this book sounds foreign to me. It obviously is not my cup of tea. I'll pass this one.

AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Nice review. few months back I was involved in the project of implementing ERP. I did not know in the beginning how tricky the process could be. Even after one year, we are still struggling. This book seems to be helpful. Sad that this book did not meet your expectation.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White

AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Cynthia Olyy wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 10:11
The topic of this book sounds foreign to me. It obviously is not my cup of tea. I'll pass this one.
yes, it does not have a wide target audience.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White

AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

sssns wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 01:09
I appreciate the "Lessons Learned" section. It will be a helpful reference for analyzing similar projects. I hope the author cites the sources of information that were not included. They may be used as related literature. Thank you so much for the comprehensive review and recommendation.
' Lessons learned' would also help to give the summary of the book, in case someone does not want to go through whole book. It was a wise decision by the author to include those.
By Rob White

honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by honesty_pays »

An interesting self help book for project managers. I already feel I need experience from this piece. Nice review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”