Official Review: Sober Focus by Elvi L.J.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda LM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lm.html
Latest Review: Sober Focus by Elvi L.J.

Official Review: Sober Focus by Elvi L.J.

Post by Guda LM »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sober Focus" by Elvi L.J..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All good things are good in moderation, and all harmful things are harmful from the first drop. Elvi L.J. brings forth compelling arguments and facts about alcoholism and sobriety. Sober Focus is a short read consisting of sixteen chapters divided into two parts. The first eight chapters discuss the relationship between alcohol and society, while the rest center on understanding and overcoming alcoholism. The book seeks to bust popular myths and absurdities, such as the positive benefits of drinking. Additionally, it discusses the theory of abstinence/sobriety versus that of responsible drinking.

The book is systematic and specific as it outlines issues such as the effect of alcohol consumption on different parts of the body like the liver, brain, nervous system, and heart. How the male and female bodies respond differently to ethyl alcohol and how ultimately the vice destroys families and subsequent generations. The read also boldly discusses the role of the media and movie industry in portraying alcohol consumption as necessary and fashionable as well as falsified scientific research and Biblical misinterpretations. All these efforts are to ensure an increase in the customer base and profits for the liquor industry. The book, however, positively concludes with the benefits of living a sober life and steps one can take to overcome the vice and repair fractured relationships.

The book is factual and specific in its illustrations and examples. For instance, when discussing the outcomes of alcohol consumption, each consequence is listed against the exact liters of pure alcohol. The author asks deep questions and does not shy away from conveying brutal and uncomfortable truths, making the read profound and thought-provoking. The literature also includes appropriate graphs and other pictorial representations that give evidence to the writing, making the information authentic and dependable.

The aspect of the book I love most is the friendly and optimistic approach it takes, as opposed to being argumentative or confrontational. The book does not rebuke or criticize; it instead presents the facts in a manner that allows the reader to internalize and decide on their truths. I equally love how the author boldly mentions the stakeholders involved in spreading fallacies and false research. I enjoyed the read and found nothing to dislike; however, I noted that the writings on some of the illustrations are either too small or blurred to read. It would be ideal if the author improved on that. I also noted that most of the research is old, with very few references from this past decade (2010-2020). Therefore, the information may not accurately present today's situation.

Sober Focus is excellently edited; I found no grammatical or spelling errors. The language employed is simple and with some scientific terms which have accompanying definitions. There are few references of Biblical verses and stories, which those of the Christian faith may understand better. However, this does not deter anyone of any religion or non-religion from reading and gaining from the book. I, therefore, give Sober Focus a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone looking for an insightful and informative read about the undeniable power and influence of alcohol.

Sober Focus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

MsH2k
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Robin That Could Not Sing by Raymond Dunn

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a very informative read. It’s interesting that you note the references do not reflect findings in the past decade. I wonder how the statistics have changed, particularly over the past year. Thank you for your thorough review!
Just because someone may not be able to handle the truth doesn’t give you a pass to lie to them.
Last Words From Above (Jeremy Brown)

sssns
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

The book seems like a promising resource about the subject. I hope the author can provide updated references to make it more relevant. Thanks for the comprehensive review and recommendation.

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

The effects of alcohol on the human brain is an informative discussion. I'll love to read this one.

Guda LM
Currently Reading:

Post by Guda LM »

Cynthia Olyy wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 09:53
The effects of alcohol on the human brain is an informative discussion. I'll love to read this one.
The book gives compelling arguments and evidence of the fact. It is very insightful.

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

Your review is very thorough. I especially like that you noticed the old research provided in this book. It does sound like an interesting read, though!

Guda LM
Currently Reading:

Post by Guda LM »

MsH2k wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 18:00
This sounds like a very informative read. It’s interesting that you note the references do not reflect findings in the past decade. I wonder how the statistics have changed, particularly over the past year. Thank you for your thorough review!
The world is characterized by constant changes in trends and habits, so I think it is relevant for the resources to keep up. Especially when dealing such a sensitive topic as alcohol consumption.

Guda LM
Currently Reading:

Post by Guda LM »

HannahsReads wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 12:19
Your review is very thorough. I especially like that you noticed the old research provided in this book. It does sound like an interesting read, though!
Thank you! The book is indeed very insightful and informative. The research still plays its part.

Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabulous mind »

I have always had the mindset that drinking responsibly is profitable to the human body, but it seems this book has an entirely different knowledge to impact. The topic discussed is a sensitive one, especially, as it relates to human health. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”