Official Review: Caribbean Boy From Trinidad

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Secondary Break by Marvin Williams Sr.

Official Review: Caribbean Boy From Trinidad

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caribbean Boy From Trinidad" by Norris M. Haynes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Caribbean Boy from Trinidad: In God’s Hands is the captivating story of a local boy who defied all odds to justly earn a Fulbright Scholarship to study Psychology in the United States. The book was authored by Norris M. Haynes and published in 2020. Michael was from an impoverished background. He lived with his mother, Mudsy, and brilliant sister, Dolores, on St. John Street in Trinidad. The roof of their wooden house had multiple cracks, and thus Mudsy would be forced to collect dripping water in pots during the rainy season. His mother was an industrious worker with unconquerable faith, though. She worked tirelessly to ensure her children got the best. She also instilled fundamental virtues in them.

Michael’s biographical account comprises many heroes. His mother was his number one cheerleader and the wind beneath his wings. Mudsy accurately portrayed the exemplary selflessness and noble self-sacrifice that can only be demonstrated by a devoted mother. The unreliable nature of her work did not diminish the passion and zeal to ensure her children succeeded. Consequently, Michael and his sister consistently attained remarkable academic achievements. The teachers who taught Michael are worth being celebrated as well. Mr. Ford from Richmond Street Boys, Dr. Alleyne from South East Port of Spain Secondary School, and Mr. Laltoo from the Queen’s Royal College all appreciated the potential in him and gave him the space to grow and hone different skills such as leadership.

The author has written an enthralling book that clearly shows that it until now takes a community to raise a child. I believe this is still true, as I have observed it in my own life and the lives of others as well. Michael’s account is proof that no role is insignificant when it comes to a societal transformation, especially in the education sector. A parent or guardian has to inculcate good values and provide a proper foundation. The teachers have to realize the limitless potential in their students and encourage them to pursue their ultimate goals. They must take care not to discriminate against any student based on anything. The community has to provide a secure environment for the children to feel safe. Good policies and structures must be put in place by the government to ensure that both learners and teachers are motivated.

This book is addressed to all students to inform them that they can rewrite their stories through hard work and persistence. It is a tangible reminder to them that they hold the future of their nations in their school bags and backpacks. It is written to parents and guardians as well to let them know that the roles they play as they support their children are essential for their development. Further, the author did not leave teachers, leaders, and the wider community behind. He shows how Michael’s story is always being narrated worldwide in the lives of other students supported to realize their dreams.

What I liked most in the book was the author wrote this story focusing on many forces that undoubtedly influenced Michael’s journey. Eventually, it was easy to comprehend the profound effects all of them had on him and, as a result, appreciate people and social institutions that played a role in his life. I disliked the repetitive nature of the book in some instances, but it did not detract from the general enjoyment. The language employed was simple. However, editing was fairly done because I encountered a few grammatical errors. As a result, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all fans of biographies. It is most suitable for students, teachers, parents, and guardians.

Caribbean Boy From Trinidad
View: on Bookshelves
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Josephe-Anne
2019 Reading Goal: 6
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Key to Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I live in Trinidad and Tobago, so it is interesting to see any local publications being mentioned internationally. I am very familiar with one of the schools you mentioned in Port of Spain.

Thank you for your honest review.
🇹🇹 😊
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Stories like this stay empowering especially when you’re privileged. If people could make the most out of seemingly nothing, what’s your excuse? Consistency and dedication is very key to success.

Thank you for a well written review!

MysticalMeg777
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MysticalMeg777 »

My family is from trinidad 🇹🇹 and many tombstones read GORDON since 1888 if I remember the TAYLORS Also my family trinidad is much closer of a community then usa ever will be .This book was a reminder of the tougher side of 🇧🇧 my father is reading it now

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”