Official Review: Finding hope in the midst of grief

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Currently Reading: & Life Goes On...
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Finding hope in the midst of grief by Judy St.pierre

Official Review: Finding hope in the midst of grief

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding hope in the midst of grief" by Judy St.pierre.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our wedding vows say, “Until death do us part.” But you rarely think about this event happening. If death occurs suddenly or even after an extended illness, you will still never be ready. Judy St. Pierre lost her husband, Jerry, after only two and one-half years of marriage and had to raise her two young children alone. In Finding Hope In The Midst of Grief: A Practical Spiritual Guide to Dealing with the Loss of a Spouse, she honestly reveals her feelings and is unafraid to show her pain. Her goal in writing this book is to offer encouragement and peace to others who have lost a loved one.

She covers topics like grief, anger, and healing. Many scripture verses quoted throughout the book are designed to bring comfort and guidance. Judy feels her relationship with God got her through her time of mourning. Essential points discussed are there is no set time limit for grief, death affects people in different ways, and your feelings are your own and are valid.

I selected this book because I am now a widow. I lost my husband of 43 years last December. It has been a tough year, and I was hoping this book would help me cope with my loss. Hearing what other women have gone through gives me hope I will be able to enjoy life again.

The part of the book most helpful to me and what I liked the most was the chapter about grief not being a straight line. There will be good days and bad days, times when you almost feel happy and others when a memory of your loved one overwhelms you. I have experienced this in my life, and it was good to learn I am not alone with these feelings. Another chapter, about facing holidays, is also relevant, especially with Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas approaching.

The parts of the book I liked least were the Bible verses. I believe the author meant well, and they were important to her, but they were unhelpful to me. Other readers may find comfort in the words, but they were not comforting to me. I guess I am still in the anger stage of my grief. Another thing I disliked was the length of the book. It is only 65 pages long, and I wished it had been longer. I would have been interested in more of her personal story.

I recommend this book to anyone who has lost a loved one. Christians will especially find this story helpful. It is short and easy to read, and the chapters are well marked to make it easy to reference a particular problem or question. The book has no profanity or sex. I found a few minor errors, but they didn’t affect my enjoyment of the book. Because there was too much religious content in the already short story, I am awarding Finding Hope In The Midst of Grief by Judy St. Pierre 3 out of 4 stars. I did find it helpful, and I think it can also be a comfort to you.

Finding hope in the midst of grief
View: on Bookshelves

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

It is in writing that we sincerely express our feelings without the fear of being judged; Judy does exactly that.

Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Joan642 »

Thanks for writing this wonderful review, am really sorry for your lost. I feel like this book has a lot more to offer, its not just a spiritual guide that helps deal with the loss of a spouse, but can be related to anyone that we hold dear, to help us find hope in the midst of our grief. I really thank the author for writing this great book.

diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

I am pleased to read that the book brought some peace and understanding to your loss. I hope you find a longer book that will also help you. Thank you for your honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”