Official Review: ...on your way home...Do This

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Official Review: ...on your way home...Do This

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "...on your way home...Do This" by George Six.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On Your Way Home...Do This is a non-fiction title written by George Six, a retired Episcopal priest. He shares with readers his reflections on life as he reminisces about his experiences, especially his ministry, which involves several challenges.

Born in Kansas during the Great Depression and wearing hand-me-downs from his brothers, the author tells us how he initially felt that the world was “an idyllic place where needs are met.” But from Pearl Harbor on, life became very different for him, and he would spend his life “seeking out our rightful place in Eden yet again.” Six’s father was an active Democrat and a town leader. The author’s grandfather, Oren Six, was an early settler who came to Kansas following the Civil War.

For starters, I appreciated how the book is filled with remarkable stories. This aspect was what I liked the most about it. For instance, there’s a touching episode where Six gets called to intervene as a woman named Marcie is about to commit suicide. I was also impressed by the part where he talks to a man who lives in a cave on the Mississippi riverbank and cooks over an open fire. There’s a life-threatening incident involving illegal aliens on the border with Mexico and other intense episodes in which the author hears touching confessions. The author states that the book is about the lives of ordinary people. But it’s more than that. I felt that it was a touching account of how we all influence each other’s lives.

I also enjoyed the author’s reflections on interesting contemporary subjects such as abortion, gay/lesbian issues, and immigration, exploring their moral, ethical, or pastoral ramifications. There’s even an interesting discussion of the ordination of women. At the end of the book, the author reflects on the current state of affairs in the world, including racial issues and COVID-19.

Although several positive aspects led me to enjoy this memoir, there was a negative worth mentioning: the writing was a bit bland. As is often the case in type of book, it’s not a nuanced memoir; it’s more of a chronological account of events. This aspect was what I liked the least about it.

In closing, I rate this memoir 3 out of 4 stars. I’m taking a star away due to the rather flat writing style. If you enjoy biographies of people who overcame challenges and adversities, you should consider reading it. I believe the book might also appeal to readers interested in religion.

...on your way home...Do This
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

It's interesting how George takes the path of ministry which is different from that of his father.

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

A priest's reflection is something worth reading about. Thanks for this review!

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

It looks like the author made positive and lasting impacts on many people's lives. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

fancyjg
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

Great review.
I think the impact we make on people lives is paramount and the priest just chose that.
However, the focus on the current issues openly in a book is a plus.

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Journey Out of Self and Into Christ by Richard Rardin

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Great review. I read and reviewed this book. what I loved the most is that Fr. Six was devoted to his calling and he's willing to serve where ever he's being posted to serve.

CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

It sounds like Mr. Six has experienced more than enough to write a book! This sounds like an entertaining and meaningful read. I enjoyed your review and may read this one soon. Thank you!
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

I find memoirs written by ecclesiastical figures to be quite interesting, since I think people in this unique profession often have deep perspectives on life. Thanks for an interesting review!

Emmanuelufot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Emmanuelufot »

You review is impressive,cutting short the long story,being a book with challenges I support your writing which state that the book can be recommended to starters.

Sammy2ga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sammy2ga »

Thanks for the review and the book itself brings out the view that you don't need to do fellow the steps of our parents in life for we have our own path. It also appreciate religion and dedication to religion. It a great book

AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

I like the religious or spiritual touch in the book along with discussions of many contemporary subjects like COVID-19 and racial issues. well done for a good review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White

AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

mmm17 wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 12:15
[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "...on your way home...Do This" by George Six.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On Your Way Home...Do This is a non-fiction title written by George Six, a retired Episcopal priest. He shares with readers his reflections on life as he reminisces about his experiences, especially his ministry, which involves several challenges.

Born in Kansas during the Great Depression and wearing hand-me-downs from his brothers, the author tells us how he initially felt that the world was “an idyllic place where needs are met.” But from Pearl Harbor on, life became very different for him, and he would spend his life “seeking out our rightful place in Eden yet again.” Six’s father was an active Democrat and a town leader. The author’s grandfather, Oren Six, was an early settler who came to Kansas following the Civil War.

For starters, I appreciated how the book is filled with remarkable stories. This aspect was what I liked the most about it. For instance, there’s a touching episode where Six gets called to intervene as a woman named Marcie is about to commit suicide. I was also impressed by the part where he talks to a man who lives in a cave on the Mississippi riverbank and cooks over an open fire. There’s a life-threatening incident involving illegal aliens on the border with Mexico and other intense episodes in which the author hears touching confessions. The author states that the book is about the lives of ordinary people. But it’s more than that. I felt that it was a touching account of how we all influence each other’s lives.

I also enjoyed the author’s reflections on interesting contemporary subjects such as abortion, gay/lesbian issues, and immigration, exploring their moral, ethical, or pastoral ramifications. There’s even an interesting discussion of the ordination of women. At the end of the book, the author reflects on the current state of affairs in the world, including racial issues and COVID-19.

Although several positive aspects led me to enjoy this memoir, there was a negative worth mentioning: the writing was a bit bland. As is often the case in type of book, it’s not a nuanced memoir; it’s more of a chronological account of events. This aspect was what I liked the least about it.

In closing, I rate this memoir 3 out of 4 stars. I’m taking a star away due to the rather flat writing style. If you enjoy biographies of people who overcame challenges and adversities, you should consider reading it. I believe the book might also appeal to readers interested in religion.

...on your way home...Do This
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
The most interesting thing about the book is its title, I started reading your review to find out what to do on our way home......I guess I'll have to read the book to find out, lol
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”