Official Review: Walks withSam by David W. Berner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bjoly2
Currently Reading: Never Eat Alone
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bjoly2.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Official Review: Walks withSam by David W. Berner

Post by bjoly2 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Walks withSam" by David W. Berner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Walks with Sam by David W. Berner is the story of a man and his dog who bond over their months of walking together. The author finds himself in a changing season of life when his family takes in Sam. Berner just turned 60 years old and was partaking in a sabbatical from work as a teacher. This combination of events seemingly aroused the author to contemplate aging, purpose, and many more of life's deeper issues.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. In addition to the book being well-edited, it also flowed naturally from one walk to the next, leaving us with simple yet profound life lessons with each. I felt a near-instant connection with both the author and his dog. And I naturally related to the quips he told about past dogs and their influence on his life as I reflected on the dogs I've had over the years. Dogs have such a fantastic ability to teach us lessons about life, and I'm grateful Berner took the time to categorize just a few of those lessons and place them neatly in this book.

My favorite part about this quick read is how each walk had a powerful and relatable message. For example, in a walk focused on the changes in his children over the years, the author writes, "Change, it has been said, is the price we pay for becoming." In the final section focused on finding who we are, the author muses over the quote, "You are not who you think you are. You are what you do."

At times, the messages the author laid out felt very philosophical. On several occasions, I found myself setting down the book to spend a few minutes pondering how the lessons of change, or solidarity, or freedom applied to my life.

My only challenge with this book is that I experienced formatting issues with the Kindle version that detracted from my ability to read the story fluidly. The headers and page numbers were not in alignment with the pages or stories, and as such, I had a tough time getting through the first few pages until I realized it was just a lousy formatting issue. Hopefully, it will be resolved so others can more easily enjoy this story.

I think this book can appeal to a vast audience, but dog owners may draw a closer connection to the author's lessons. Berner speaks about Sam and his affection toward her in such a loving, understanding way that one can only relate to if they've felt it with a dog before. One thing is for sure, if you own a dog, you'll want to hop up and take them for a long, slow walk once you read this book.

Walks withSam
View: on Bookshelves
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I guess it is true that a dog is a man's best friend. Dogs teach us a lot of invaluable lessons. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

It is true, we are what we do. I don't have a pet, so I don't think I'll really be able to relate with this story. However, I think the lessons are air-tight.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I don't usually like dogs, so I easily pick interest in stories that talk about their relationships with humans. Maybe one day I'll what exactly is wrong with me.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I am a dog lover so this book resonates quite well with me. Thank you for your review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

My dogs (and cats) are my best friends, so I'm sure I will enjoy this book! Great review.
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This book sounds adorable and inspirational. Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”