Official Review: Surrender by Marylee MacDonald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jachike Samuelson
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: Of Zots & Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: The Cancer Machine by Dr. Stephen Petteruti

Official Review: Surrender by Marylee MacDonald

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Surrender" by Marylee MacDonald.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marylee was given up for adoption at six weeks old. And later in life, when she grew up and became a mother, she also gave her first child up for adoption. Surrender brings to the fore the very salient, yet, largely unknown pains of searching mothers who were forced to give up their babies for adoption due to life circumstances.

This book was an inspiring read. As stated earlier, the author, Marylee MacDonald, detailed her experiences as both an adopted child and a mother who had to give up her son for adoption. Both mother and child carry long-term effects of the adoption, and I like that Marylee's story deals with this issue from both the child's and the mother's perspective. For Marylee, she had to endure the pain of not knowing where her son was or how life turned out for him.

I loved that the book also exposed how Marylee's experience threatened other aspects of her life. A good example was her angry standoff with her husband when he wanted them to move to Phoenix for his job. Her objection would have been seen as inconsiderate but for the fact that Phoenix held bitter memories for her. It was here that she had given away her child.

It's disturbing that some people adopt kids to score some cheap charity points. But these children are not charity cases or an opportunity to make oneself feel good. They are humans in need of genuine love, care, and attention. What I love most about Surrender is how it agrees with this sentiment. It warns such people against adopting a child as the consequences for both them and the child can be overwhelming. John's experience at the hands of his adoptive family helped drive home the potency of this warning.

While reading this book, I learned that infants could experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) upon separation from the mother. It also highlighted the "nature vs. nurture" discontinuities and complications after adoptees reunite with their blood families.

Although this is a work of nonfiction, I was thrilled that Marylee approached this book like she was writing a novel. This helped to make her story more intriguing and engaging for me. I often had to be reminded by the images in the book that I wasn't reading a novel. Speaking of the images, although not surprising with memoirs and autobiographies, I appreciated that Marylee inserted many pictures from her life into this book. Although her writing was spectacular, I felt like the images helped me see her and her circumstances in a way that the writing alone could not achieve.

Surrender was professionally edited, considering I could only identify one grammatical error in the entire book. There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this inspirational memoir. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of its excellent grammar and seamless storytelling. I would recommend this book to parents, counselors, and adoptees that have come of age.

Surrender
View: on Bookshelves

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

Adoption can have life-long negative and positive impacts on mother and child. Thanks for bringing the book to our attention.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Olabode Joshua
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: We're Here Because We're Not All There by William Kenneth Jones
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I've been seeing memoirs a lot lately. I think I'm going to write mine someday God-willing. People never cease to amaze me. How can you adopt a child just to score points? Thanks for your great review, Jachike.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

Mothers are forced to give up their babies for so many reasons. I hope this memoir addresses some of these reasons to a good extent.

Bertha Jackson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Grand Librarian by Dee Rose

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to give up a child. Thank you for the review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Nelson Lyric
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Nelson Lyric »

Given up at Seven weeks?, I believe this book is an emotion shifter, I can't wait to read this one. Great review Jachike.

Lilyflower-x2
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I am not sure I can read this book without shedding tears for the women who have to give up their children. Thank you for your review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin

Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

Such a difficult subject, I admire the author for sharing her story and writing an inspiring book. Thank you for your detailed review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”