Official Review: Born Unwanted by Helen Damon Hesketh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
klbradley
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 98
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: Born Unwanted by Helen Damon Hesketh
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Born Unwanted by Helen Damon Hesketh

Post by klbradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Born Unwanted" by Helen Damon Hesketh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's a common part of life to occasionally feel unwanted. As humans, we crave acceptance and appreciation. When we don't receive that desired affection, it's easy to feel unwanted or undesired. Though it is a common emotion and completely normal, author Helen Kesketh seems to have been dealt a tough hand in life with how she is treated by others.

In her memoir, Born Unwanted, Helen shares the experiences she has suffered as well as how she dealt with these emotions that felt overbearing at times. Beginning with her birth, the author shares how she was made to feel unwanted by multiple people in her life, beginning with the earliest stages by her mother. These feelings followed her into adulthood by her husband, employers, and even the church she dutifully served for. Born Unwanted was a fairly quick read at 133 Kindle edition pages, though at times could be emotionally triggering due to the heartfelt way the author shared her experiences.

While reading, I was impressed with the way the author expressed her emotions and explained how others had hurt her feelings, whether intentionally or not. Her memoir was exceptionally well-written, with a timeline of events leading up to moments where she has forgiven those who have hurt her while also being sure to specify that she doesn't place the blame of her feelings on anyone else. Over time, she shares that she has learned to stand up for herself and express how the actions of others has made her feel. More often than not, those who have hurt her were unaware of how their words could cut deep.

My favorite part of Helen's story was the very end where she has written a letter to her mother, expressing that she no longer blames her mother for the way she felt, but rather appreciates all she has learned from the way she felt and how to best avoid making her children feel the same pain she has. Born Unwanted is a memoir that I would recommend to all readers to ensure that we are all taking the initiative to be attentive to the way we speak to and treat others. Although we may not be intentionally causing hurt to those around us, our actions and words can sometimes be more hurtful than we realize, as evident in the way Helen expresses her emotions. I can only imagine how difficult it is to feel unwanted during so many significant phases in life.

I'm so pleased to rate Born Unwanted 4 out of 4 stars, mainly due to the author's well-written approach at opening up in a vulnerable manner to shed light on a difficult topic. Along with being a clear expression of emotions, Born Unwanted was well-written and professional, with no editing or spelling errors to be found. Though I haven't experienced years of an unwanted feeling like the author, I can definitely say there haven been moments in my life where I have felt unwanted too. Being able to relate to the story adds an even more promising feeling, specifically with a memoir that I think many of us can relate to.

Born Unwanted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Tayejim1 »

This is a problem that has plagued many of us. I hope to read this book soon. Thanks.

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Karinya by Paul Drewitt

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

The title of this book is indeed attracted. I can relate how it feels like to be rejected, it's really really disheartening and brings about low self-esteem. Great review!

Lilyflower-x2
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I applaud the author for having a forgiving heart. Her journey in life is truly an inspiration to many.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin

Rodolfo025
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rodolfo025 »

Outstanding book relatable characters and would definitely give it a recommendation

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

It's not an easy feeling to feel unwanted. I can totally relate to this situation. I appreciate the author for sharing her story.

Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Hidden in Plain Sight, a British Military Agent's Story by Shirley Read-Jahn

Post by Drado_27 »

I really enjoyed your review. It is important, as the author says, to forgive our parents' mistakes, and to avoid repeating them.

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Ada Ling »

Thank you for the recommendation. I appreciate the author's vulnerability. It is a not easy experience.

Jonathan chikwanda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jonathan chikwanda »

I can relate with what the author is explaining..
There times in life we feel unwanted and unappreciated by other people, it's a common thing..
It hurts, and it's uncomfortable.

I like how the author expresses herself and how she forgave the people who hurt her despite going through so much..
Without forgiveness there is no love...

Great content 🙏

diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

I am glad that you mentioned the letter that the author wrote to her mother. It makes for a happier ending. Nice Review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”