Official Review: The Pawn by L.J. Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 72
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 603
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: The art of influencing project success by Nicholas Ferguson

Official Review: The Pawn by L.J. Jones

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pawn" by L.J. Jones.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Pawn, by L.J. Jones, unveils the author's extraordinary life journey. Growing up in a dysfunctional home, she had several unpleasant experiences, which affected her psychologically and cost her a lot in life. Eventually, she had an encounter with God, made the right decisions, and took the necessary steps towards her recovery. In summary, it's a story of heartache and healing.

Exploring chiefly the theme of the after-effects of child and substance abuse, this memoir tells about spiritual awakening and forgiveness. Written like a novel, it's quite intriguing and inspiring, full of fascinating events. It's coherent and easy to read. I like the author's engaging writing style and vivid descriptions. She presents her stories back and forth in a smooth manner, and consisting of some touching moments and epiphanies, it's a helpful read. Moreover, it includes several uplifting Bible verses. Again, though it's non-fiction, its characters are lifelike; the author provides enough information about them to make them relatable.

Furthermore, I saw a few profane words. I commend the author for being brave enough to tell about, in detail, the traumatic experiences she had during her childhood, involving family members. Besides, whereas the book has no explicit sex scenes, it includes graphic accounts of other kinds of child maltreatment. Hence, sensitive readers may want to skip it.

I enjoyed reading The Pawn because it's captivating and inspirational. However, the copy of it I downloaded seems like a scanned copy of its paperback edition. Therefore, for me, it was a bit difficult reading the pages of the book, since I had to read two columns on one page, reading from the left to the right. Though it seems professionally edited, I noticed some grammatical and typographical errors, especially wrongly spelled and missing words. Also, the author recreated events and dialogues from her memories, and I think some of her thoughts, as a child, seem too mature.

In conclusion, I rate The Pawn 3 out of 4 stars because it's interesting and enlightening. It shows how one can be substance-free and how to overcome guilt, shame, and rejection. It's a good book that deserves 4 stars, but I couldn't give it a perfect rating because of the several grammar errors and typos in it. I suggest that the author should send it for a second round of editing. It'll be very useful for anyone who is seeking healing since they've gone through a lot of trauma while growing up.

The Pawn
View: on Bookshelves

Tarilan
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Tarilan »

The grammar errors and typos are annoying, but the book seems interesting and relatable.

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I don't usually like memoirs, more so when it contains annoying grammatical and typographic errors.

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Journey Out of Self and Into Christ by Richard Rardin

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I love that the book has a lot to tech like forgiveness. Great review.

Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 72
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 603
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: The art of influencing project success by Nicholas Ferguson

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Cynthia Olyy wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 07:44
I don't usually like memoirs, more so when it contains annoying grammatical and typographic errors.
The grammar errors and typos are not really annoying or distracting. I just couldn't give it a perfect score because of their existence. Thanks for your comment 😊.

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

This sounds like an inspiring book, but I agree that the ebook formatting would make it hard to read. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”