Official Review: Cracker Jacked by Lawrence Sterling III

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 154
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 614
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Cracker Jacked by Lawrence Sterling III
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Cracker Jacked by Lawrence Sterling III

Post by Miriam Molina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cracker Jacked" by Lawrence Sterling III.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Black lives matter.” This slogan has become a reverberating cry in the last few months. In Cracker Jacked, Lawrence Sterling III shares his own story of how he experienced racial profiling from 2008 to 2013. His story is not new, but that does not make it less sad.

The book opens dramatically on August 6, 2008: Lawrence is being arrested by the police based on his wife’s report that he has been AWOL from the Navy for the last six months. He spends the next seven months in the Navy brig in Kitsap, Washington. Of the six charges slapped on him, only the AWOL charge sticks; he gets an honorable discharge in March 2009. Unfortunately, his unhappy memories of his life in the Navy cause him severe stress, and he has bouts of violent temper now and then.

Lawrence tries to get over his woes by learning new skills. However, come June 2010, he again has an unpleasant encounter with the police. He is charged with traffic and other violations, which he summarizes as DWB (driving while Black). He is arrested and even sustains a dog bite in the process. The armed police officers claim the siccing of the canine, Nikki, on him is warranted by his violent behavior. Will his misfortunes ever end?

Lawrence’s story is told in a conversational and lively tone, and the reader seems to be hearing it while sharing a few beers with him. Lawrence shifts from present to past tense in his narration, but the shifts are natural and are not that bothersome. He also injects snippets from his past to allow the reader to get to know him better.

The book is well-organized, and it is a breeze to follow along. Lawrence figures in at least three controversial court cases, and he is able to present each objectively. He includes copies of relevant documents that give credence to his assertions. The book also shows photos of some of the personalities involved (including two of Nikki), but the reader sees only a tiny picture of a very young Lawrence. A more recent photo of the author would be welcome in a later edition of the book.

I am Asian, and I can imagine Lawrence’s exasperation over his experiences. He also mentions other Black people who were treated unfairly. These include Oscar Grant who was wrongfully killed by the police on New Year’s Day of 2009; his story is immortalized in the movie Fruitvale Station. Another victim is 89-year-old Jesse Porter bitten by Nikki in the old man’s own backyard in 2011. The cases featured in the book mostly resulted in monetary awards to the victims or their families. However, would money ever replace those lives or opportunities lost forever?

I was horrified by these true stories of injustices committed by the authorities sworn to uphold the law. It has been many decades since "Jim Crow" practices were supposedly eradicated. Were they?

I want to give the perfect rating to this book, but certain flaws stay my hand. Lawrence has to get editing help to catch the wayward sentences. Misspellings and capitalization errors are particularly rampant. I am likewise not happy with the extended discussion of Lawrence’s sex life and the accompanying vulgar words. Two of the fifteen chapters are used to detail his carnal pursuits, which I find irrelevant to the central theme. The book, in its present form, gets 2 out of 4 stars from me.

My recommendation goes to every mature citizen of the world who yearns for equality for all. I think many of us are guilty of exclusion in some way. May this book encourage us to be more mindful of the way we treat everyone who is different from us. Let us all proclaim, “All lives matter!” More importantly, let us believe and live so.

Cracker Jacked
View: on Bookshelves

The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by The_Vivian »

I find your review quite enlightening and interesting, keep it up. However, I must say that this book is one that has a very sensitive topic which we continue to deal with in our everyday lives. Reading it would definitely not be easy but I guess enlightenment beats the fear of the unknown. Nice review.

Luluwa79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Luluwa79 »

Your review is very detailed and it brings to light the message the author was passing across to readers with his experience.

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

Stories such as these need to be documented, and black people must not tire from sharing their experiences. Whether today, tomorrow or in the far future, justice will prevail. In the meantime, those who have suffered must keep documenting their stories.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Bertha Jackson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Grand Librarian by Dee Rose

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Racal injustice is one of America's biggest problems. Equality is not something people should have to fight for. It should be a given. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Sou Hi
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange trial
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Get Money Do Good by J.D. Vermaas

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your detailed and insightful review. After so many years, I wonder why the US is still unable to get rid of racism. And not just the US, many Asians were shunned by Europeans during the pandemic early this year only because they wear facemasks.

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Eutoc »

It's discouraging when social injustice is subtly protected by law. If the law is biased on such issues I wonder the feasibility of removing social problems in our world. Thank you for the wonderful review.

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Memories of a Synchronistic Gap Year by Andrew Cole

Post by Slater678 »

Any book that exposes the problem of racism is timely. Thanks for the enjoyable review.

REIGN GODDESS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reign-goddess.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by REIGN GODDESS »

Finally someone talked about BLM! 🥳
We honestly need to listen to people, who for a long time have felt that they are "voiceless".
我是赢家

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Live Stock, Dead Stock by Seymour Grufferman

Post by Saint Bruno »

This is a great review. And yes, all lives matter. Good job and thanks for the recommendation.

Olabode Joshua
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: We're Here Because We're Not All There by William Kenneth Jones
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Hmmm, I can see that this book has done its job despite getting just two stars. You almost sounded like a human rights activist towards the end of your review, and that's good. All lives matter and nobody is irrelevant. Thank you for your awesome review, Miriam Molina!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Ellylion »

Beautiful review, Miriam. The author needs to iron all the flaws this book has, because it speaks about burning questions for sure.

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

It's a pity that a book as beautiful as this is riddled with so many errors. I'll check it when the author irons out all of that. Nice review, Miriam.

Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Postcards by Kim Todd

Post by Rashida10 »

This book seems to portray the chaos and situation surrounding the present world we live in. Thanks to the author, we can all see racial discrimination from a specific but similar view. You chase a good book.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 154
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 614
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Cracker Jacked by Lawrence Sterling III
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

The_Vivian wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 05:18
I find your review quite enlightening and interesting, keep it up. However, I must say that this book is one that has a very sensitive topic which we continue to deal with in our everyday lives. Reading it would definitely not be easy but I guess enlightenment beats the fear of the unknown. Nice review.
Reality indeed bites. Thanks for the visit and the reaction.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”