Official Review: 62 and Pregnant by Gresha Lewis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: 62 and Pregnant by Gresha Lewis

Official Review: 62 and Pregnant by Gresha Lewis

Post by bruin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "62 and Pregnant" by Gresha Lewis.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

62 and Pregnant by Gresha Lewis, is a Christian self-help book. The title and cover art caught my attention because I assumed the book was about the life of a 62-year-old pregnant woman. After reading the description, I learned that the book is not about a geriatric pregnancy; it is about how one’s relationship with God is as intimate as becoming pregnant with a child. Lewis creatively writes, “When God impregnates you with the Promised Seed of Purpose, the fruit of these seeds will be brought to fruition in its season.” The book is filled with biblical quotes and medical citations about the female reproductive system. It was uncomfortable for me to make this type of spiritual and biological connection. When Lewis writes, “God uses our life experiences to serve as the ovaries, whose function is to produce the eggs of hope of fulfilling our dreams and passions with the gifts that He has placed in us” it did not appeal to my taste in Christian self-help books. I still wanted to understand her point of view and decided to give it a try.

The book is 115 pages long and divided into nine chapters. Each chapter explains how every stage of a biological pregnancy is similar to how God’s purpose is growing inside of us. This book will appeal to readers who enjoy reading the Christian Bible. I do not recommend this book to readers who are not interested in learning about the details of the female reproductive organs and the different stages of pregnancy.

There are many references from the Bible to prove that it is never too late to figure our God’s purpose for your life; Lewis insists that “If you are 45, 55, 65, 75, 85+, get in position and fulfill the purpose that God has ordained for your life.” Readers in these older age groups would have a better connection with this book because the author shares many personal experiences from her adult life. Even though this book appears to be written for the female reader, Lewis explains, “Yes, in the spiritual realm men can become pregnant too! At 75 God told Abraham that he will be a father of nations.” I do not think a male reader could connect with most of this book unless he has a specific interest in reading about what happens to the female body throughout her pregnancy, birth, and delivery.

As a female, who has experienced pregnancies, and has a spiritual connection with God, I had a difficult time reading through many of the chapters. I disliked that many of the chapters are overly filled with biblical references and medical research on the female reproductive system. Lewis appropriately includes all of those references to support her point of view, but it was not as interesting as reading about her personal experiences. I learned more from her reflections on her personal struggles than I did from the barrage of biblical and scientific references. I liked reading about her personal life the most. The parts where she was vulnerable and shared how her spiritual relationship with God helped her overcome many struggles are what made this book interesting.

I rate this book a 2 out of 4 because I did not enjoy it enough to recommend it. I did not give it a 1 out of 4 because Lewis uses correct grammar, there are no spelling errors, and she provides a wealth of evidence for her claims. There was only this one sentence that had the wrong word choice, “My father was a dark-skinned gentleman, but when he saw me, he told my grandmother that I was the darkness baby he had ever seen.” The word darkness should be darkest. It did not affect the flow of the story and was easy to figure out what she was talking about. I would have rated this book a 3 out of 4 if the author shared more of her life experiences to get her message across, and less graphic details about the stages of pregnancy.

62 and Pregnant
View: on Bookshelves

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nqobile771 »

I understand that the author probably wanted to "lure" readers but I find the title to be deceptive. Thanks for the review nonetheless.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Murder in the Marsh by Kevin Carey

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I'm delighted by your review, and I think I want to read it as it pertains to women.

Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Hidden in Plain Sight, a British Military Agent's Story by Shirley Read-Jahn

Post by Drado_27 »

I don't like the idea behind this book because I find it unsettling. However, I really like your review and the things you pointed out.

sssns
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

I was also drawn by the title, with the same assumption that it was about geriatric pregnancy. I wondered why the author used the analogy. It was probably an attempt to present the theme differently. Was there a more appropriate approach? Hopefully, the book reaches the intended audience. I appreciate your impartial review. Thanks!

K-A-Y
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading: Walking Dead
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-a-y.html
Latest Review: Cat Boss by Tayma Tameem

Post by K-A-Y »

At quick glance, this title really does pull you in and I was expecting to see a quick-witted prose or even a somber reflection on such reality, but having all these analogies and references to the female reproductive system and spiritual connotations really took me for a spin. Maybe actually reading the book may change my tune, but I believe the title is greatly misleading. I love the review actually, saved me a great deal of time. Thank you!!

Tarilan
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: Passions: Love Poems and Other Writings by Gabriela Marie Milton

Post by Tarilan »

The title is indeed eye catching. I had to check the review to understand what the book is like.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”