Official Review: Fool Me Once Trump, shame on me; Fool me...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Remarkably you, Remarkably me by Lavette Shirley Elee

Official Review: Fool Me Once Trump, shame on me; Fool me...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fool Me Once Trump, shame on me; Fool me twice, shame on you" by Rathin Neogy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Fool Me Once Trump, Shame on Me; Fool Me Twice, Shame On You, Rathin Neogy presents a compelling case for why the current president should not be re-elected. Neogy examines Trump's abuse of power, reshaping of the Republican party, and law and order rhetoric against the backdrop of the coronavirus crisis, racial injustice protests, and a country that remains divided.

As might be surmised from the title, the book targets Biden-Harris supporters and undecided voters. Neogy's warnings about the dangers of re-electing Trump are supported by documentation of his frequent abuse of power. He chronicles Trump's response to COVID-19 and his constant undermining of the WHO and the CDC. Neogy contrasts Trump's leadership with men like Obama, McCain, Romney, and Biden. The book contains an instance of borderline profanity. I will also note that the Amazon listing includes an incorrect page length of 121 pages compared to the actual 185 pages.

I especially like Neogy's presentation of facts from reputable cited sources about Trump's actions. Neogy provides pages of examples that are difficult to dispute, including Trump's intentional spreading of misinformation, campaign rhetoric, and negligence in handling both the pandemic and widespread racial unrest. He explains The Lincoln Project and also addresses why many lifelong Republicans can no longer support the platform during the upcoming election, including Mitt Romney and Cindy McCain. On a personal note, I can relate. Trump may tout his support from Texans, evangelical Christians, and suburban women, but although I fall into these three groups categorically, he will not have my vote.

I appreciate Neogy's concern and passion for the election and the future of the United States, but I dislike that his zealous writing style sometimes comes across as ranting. Although I agree with most of his conclusions, I wonder if his tone may inadvertently turn away the undecided voters he is hoping to influence. Likewise, since Trump often resorts to name-calling, Neogy stoops to his level when he refers to him as a "low-life."

Additionally, the book needs another round of editing; it contains multiple grammatical errors, and the table of contents is rife with inconsistent capitalization. Among the many subtitles, some are written in title case, while others include randomly capitalized words.

For all of the above reasons, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the need for further editing and Neogy's tendency to rant, the carefully researched book portrays an accurate depiction of Trump's performance as a president. I would not recommend it to Trump supporters. However, given the upcoming election timeline, the book may appeal to readers who are not usually interested in books about politics.

Fool Me Once Trump, shame on me; Fool me twice, shame on you
View: on Bookshelves

Faithy_Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Fall Boys and Spring Girls by Jim Gibbons

Post by Faithy_Star »

This book came at the right time, and I'm certain it will go a long way in convincing individuals to choose the right part in the forthcoming elections.

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

The title captivated me but reading the review shows it's a political work. I don't find an interest in politics. I'll pass this one.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Faithy_Star wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 01:25
This book came at the right time, and I'm certain it will go a long way in convincing individuals to choose the right part in the forthcoming elections.
I agree, Faith--the author couldn't have timed it better! Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Cynthia Olyy wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 05:12
The title captivated me but reading the review shows it's a political work. I don't find an interest in politics. I'll pass this one.
Yes, true to its title, it is definitely political. Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:

Olabode Joshua
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: We're Here Because We're Not All There by William Kenneth Jones
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I generally avoid people who do things the same way their opponents do them. I have a different opinion about Trump, but I can't possibly know better than the citizens, can I? Thanks for your analysis, Cecilia_L.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Olabode Joshua wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 09:07
I generally avoid people who do things the same way their opponents do them. I have a different opinion about Trump, but I can't possibly know better than the citizens, can I? Thanks for your analysis, Cecilia_L.
Thank you for your comment.

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Eutoc »

The title of this book cracks me up 😂. I hope a lot of people get to read this. It's really insight, and I pray Americans will make the right choice.

Mounce574
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Book: Claimed by Nicolai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mounce574.html
Latest Review: Nekkid Lake by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN

Post by Mounce574 »

Unfortunately I would have to disagree with the author of this book. So many point out COVID and racial unrest but did he cause those issues? I also know that Trump offered assistance to Portland Oregon and the mayor refused and was even a part of the riots. I support Trump and believe if people would quit trying to keep him dealing with impeachment crap and other media fueled issues about menial things like sex with a playboy model (his wife isn't upset so why 13 years later does it matter) then maybe he could accomplish more. Obama didn't help us- if you don't have Obama care and can't afford health insurance then you get fined on your taxes...brilliant. And the costs to support his vacations and overpriced muffins wasn't very inspirational. Sorry for going off on a rant but Biden looks like he is half-dead and likes sniffing young girls hair. He also chose his running mate that called him a racist. Already lost my consideration with that.
"I don't want to dance with the Devil
I just want to confront him at a table
And I don't need your hollow promise
I just need to look you in the eyes and tell you
You didn't help me make it"
Upchurch The Redneck

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eutoc wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 02:28
The title of this book cracks me up 😂. I hope a lot of people get to read this. It's really insight, and I pray Americans will make the right choice.
The title drew me ro the book Thank you for your comment.

Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by Bookworm101520 »

Wow. I wish I could get some of my relatives to read this! Thank you for a comprehensive review.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bookworm101520 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 15:24
Wow. I wish I could get some of my relatives to read this! Thank you for a comprehensive review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”