Official Review: Duke the Legend by Mary Ann Zengerle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Official Review: Duke the Legend by Mary Ann Zengerle

Post by Kreads1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Duke the Legend" by Mary Ann Zengerle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Duke the Legend by Mary Ann Zengerle is a non-fiction book, recounting the life of her family’s black labrador, Duke.

When Mary’s husband, Mike, comes home with a black labrador puppy, she tries to make sense of the addition of another dog. The family already has two West Highland Terriers, so she questions adding a puppy to the mix. On closer inspection, Mary couldn’t deny the puppy gazing up at her with his big brown eyes, yearning for acceptance. And so, Mary decided the puppy would remain a part of the family. They chose to name him Duke. Before long, it became clear that Duke was different than the family’s other dogs. To be specific, Duke was different than any dog Mary had met previously.

Duke has what many would call a “larger-than-life” personality. He finds himself “in the doghouse” on more than one occasion. While good-natured, Duke’s curiosity gets the better of him, and he soon becomes the neighborhood trouble-maker. Over the years, Duke finds himself at the center of parties crashed, property damaged, and even in the back of a police car. Despite his trouble-making tendencies, Duke is well-loved by family, friends, and neighbors. When Mike originally came home with Duke, Mary had no idea he would reach legendary status in their Lake Fenton community. Duke the Legend tells the story of how this black labrador puppy grew up to be a legend.

Zengerle captures the exuberant life of Duke in both a humorous and endearing manner. The author’s writing style is casual but descriptive, resulting in an enjoyable reading experience. It’s easy to envision Duke’s adventures through the descriptive narrative, often coupled with creative metaphors. The storyline lends itself to an emotional connection with readers.

Duke’s personality is captured by beautiful hand-drawn illustrations throughout the book, depicting events from the storyline. The author has also included several real-life photographs of Duke in the book. Short quotes from the author’s grandchildren, sharing their love for Duke, grace the pages as well.

What I enjoyed most about this book was reading about how Duke transitioned from being the neighborhood trouble-maker to the neighborhood legend. Duke’s exploits teeter towards being disastrous; everyone in the neighborhood knows his name, where he lives, and who his owners are. Surprisingly, rather than despising this trouble-maker, the community is charmed by Duke. Duke eventually finds himself a guest of honor at backyard barbecues and has exceptional retrieving skills that come in handy at times. The love for Duke is palpable.

On a critical note, this book requires professional editing. I noted multiple errors related to grammar and punctuation and one spelling error. These errors did negatively impact my overall rating of the book. I would also recommend reconsidering the placement of one illustration in particular. This particular illustration depicts a scene that supersedes the occurrence of the event in the storyline. This placement may have been intentional, but readers could interpret it as a bit of a spoiler.

My overall impression of Duke the Legend is that it is a touching, heartwarming story. I felt many emotions while reading this book. I found myself laughing, crying, and reminiscing about similar situations I’ve experienced with my animals. I truly enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to others, especially those fond of animals. There is no profanity or graphic material in this book, which will appeal to a broad audience. It is important to note that this book touches on the topic of euthanasia. Beyond that, there a couple of references to drug use and violence made in jest that may bother some readers. For these reasons, parents of younger readers, or those sensitive to these subject areas may wish to use their discretion before reading it.

My overall rating of Duke the Legend is 3 out of 4 stars. If professionally edited, I would award the fourth star.

Duke the Legend
View: on Bookshelves
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Success Is The Best Revenge by Kathy Sechrist

Post by Nqobile771 »

Duke really does sound like a larger than life character. His shenanigans really deserve to be penned down. Thanks for the review, it is such a pity though that the book has so many errors.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Kreads1

Post by Kreads1 »

Nqobile771 wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 00:57 Duke really does sound like a larger than life character. His shenanigans really deserve to be penned down. Thanks for the review, it is such a pity though that the book has so many errors.
Yes, Duke certainly is a larger than life character! I can only imagine how fun it would be to see him in action. I hope the errors are corrected professionally because this really was such an endearing read. Thank you for stopping by!
Bertha Jackson
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Unfamiliar Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The True Story of Freddie Mercury the Parrot (Editor’s Choice) by Victor Rash

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I am an animal lover and this book appeals to me. We once had a dog that we could not keep in our yard no matter what we did. All of the neighbors loved him and would call us to let us know that our dog was visiting them. Our dog did not know a stranger. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kreads1

Post by Kreads1 »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 09:28 I am an animal lover and this book appeals to me. We once had a dog that we could not keep in our yard no matter what we did. All of the neighbors loved him and would call us to let us know that our dog was visiting them. Our dog did not know a stranger. Thank you for your review.
I am an animal lover as well, which is what drew me to this book. Your dog sounds a lot like Duke!
justhereader
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justhereader.html
Latest Review: STICKS AND STONES: Poetry and Prose by Chelsea DeVries

Post by justhereader »

As an animal lover myself, I feel like I would fall in love with this book. It seems like the kind of book that will warm my heart and break it at the same time. It sounds really wonderful.
Kreads1

Post by Kreads1 »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 20:29 As an animal lover myself, I feel like I would fall in love with this book. It seems like the kind of book that will warm my heart and break it at the same time. It sounds really wonderful.
Yes, I’m sure you would love it, it is certainly one that will leave you with all of “the feels”. Thank you for stopping by!
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

This sounds like a light-hearted book that my family and I would enjoy, and relate to, as our own dogs are building their own reputation :) Thank you for your thorough review!
Kreads1

Post by Kreads1 »

CharlieMax1516 wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 08:51 This sounds like a light-hearted book that my family and I would enjoy, and relate to, as our own dogs are building their own reputation :) Thank you for your thorough review!
This book is certainly one that many dog owners can relate to. :lol: Thank you for stopping by!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”