Official Review: I am Not a Polish Bastard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem

Official Review: I am Not a Polish Bastard

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I am Not a Polish Bastard" by George Yourchyk.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am Not a Polish Bastard by George Yourchyk tells the story of a family who lived through three different wars. The focus is mainly on Yuri and his attempt to prove that he is not a bastard.

The story is touching in many ways, and I can't help but admire Yuri's resilience. He does not allow the things he goes through to break him. Instead, he shows gratefulness for every help he receives and fights hard to help those he loves.

Yuri shows remarkable strength for someone who experiences so much loss and pain at a very young age. The book takes us through several years of the young man's life and shares with us his pain and grief — and his joys as well.

The book was incredibly detailed, and I was able to understand what was happening; how circumstances affected Yuri's life, his thoughts, and reactions to them. It was a realistic and relatable tale. As a result of how the story was narrated, I connected with the book and its main character. For instance, I cheered when he was finally able to eat sandwiches after months of eating only pea soup. I also shared in his disappointments, disillusionment, sadness over the loss of two of his closest friends, and heartbreak.

Sadly, the book was difficult to read because it was poorly written. It had no structure, and the time gaps could be somewhat confusing to the reader. Sometimes, there were excessive and unnecessary repetitions of sentences, and some of the details were inconsistent.

The book was also riddled with poor grammar and wrong sentence structures. It kept switching between direct and indirect speech patterns and even between present tense and past tense. Many times, punctuation marks were omitted, entire words were missing from sentences, and words were misspelled. These issues were too distracting as they always took my attention away from the story while I tried to make sense of the sentences. Hence, the book took me a long time to read.

If you could look past the book's poor grammar, you'd see a lot of things to admire about the main character, Yuri. His commitment to family despite the way he was treated was remarkable. He kept doing everything he could to make things easier for them and helped in any way he could. Even when he stopped living with them, he kept going back to see them and make sure they were okay. Although it was a fictional tale, I learned a lot about dealing with some life issues.

Overall, I give the book two out of four stars. I recommend the book to anyone who loves family-focused historical fiction novels.

I am Not a Polish Bastard
View: on Bookshelves

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

The author's life story is one worthy of being told. I would have loved to find out how he defied the odds and survived. It is a pity that it has a lot of grammatical errors. I will give it a pass. Thanks for reviewing it for us nonetheless.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

What a title! That was the very first thing that caught me. It's a pity such a beautiful storyline is riddled with errors.

Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

The title definitely grabs the attention and the story looks promising. It's a pity there are so many errors, I imagine it can be distracting. Thank you for your review!

CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

This sounds like a great, inspirational story to read. Hopefully, the author can have it professionally edited so the technical level can match the content level. Thank you for your review!
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte

Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The amount of errors might be because English is not the author's mother tongue? In that case, the author should contract an editor to professionally edit the book because it would be shame if the error count affects negatively an incredible life story.

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Journey Out of Self and Into Christ by Richard Rardin

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

It really a great virtue to remain loving and grateful even in the midst of maltreatment. Great review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”