Official Review: Preaching from the Grave

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Deadly Proof
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Pearl Harbor Conspiracy by J.G. Schwartz

Official Review: Preaching from the Grave

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Preaching from the Grave" by Phodidas Ndamyumugabe, PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Has violence broken out in your city? Should rioting and shootings get nearer to your home, what would you do? Phodidas Ndamyumugabe, PhD, had to confront such a dilemma when the Rwandan genocide broke out in 1994. He tells his true story in Preaching from the Grave: A Breathtaking Story of Faith, Prayer, and Forgiveness.

Phodidas loved his natal country of Rwanda. The beautiful countryside and rivers of Kibuye enchanted him. He remembered growing up in a large family and attending local schools. His peaceful life ended when the presidential plane was shot down on April 6, 1994. From that moment on, as a Tutsi, he had to flee for his life. His appearance and his official ID gave him away at each roadblock. He received two stab wounds to the head, hid in the bush for several weeks, and dug his grave under the orders of a Hutu militiaman. How did Phodidas survive? How was he able to escape death and live to tell his story?

The country of Rwanda broke out in a genocidal war in 1994. The Hutus were intent on eliminating their rival tribe, the Tutsis. Many of us remember seeing the horrible images of thousands of dead Tutsis slaughtered and left by the roadside. The primary weapon used by the Hutus was a machete, which they swung indiscriminately against men, women, and children. Phodidas and several friends walked from place to place, trying to avoid the killing. He recounted their journey and the times they hid when the enemy got too close. His greatest challenge came after the conflict ended. As a pastor, Phodidas had the opportunity to preach to the soldiers who had killed people he knew. Would he be able to forgive them and share God’s love with them?

I enjoyed the format of the book. Each chapter opened with an appropriate Bible verse that related to that chapter’s content. The chapter closed with a silhouette photo that highlighted the main event of the chapter. The author wrote openly and confidently about his faith and trust in God as a source of strength during these difficult circumstances. Readers will find prayers, Bible readings, and a sermon in the text. If you do not enjoy faith-based stories, you might not like this book.

The author used simple, straightforward language to describe his flight from the militiamen during the genocide. I appreciated the honesty reflected in his admission of moments of doubt and lack of trust in God’s protection. The author took care to speak of the violence without giving gory details.

Most of the cities mentioned in the book were unfamiliar to me. My only dislike was the lack of a map indicating the towns named in the story. The location of the UN camp and the refugee camps would have added clarity to the story. The book doesn’t contain any profanity and only a few grammatical errors.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The historical value, the emotional recounting of the author’s experiences, and the lack of errors make this an intriguing read. Readers interested in learning about the Rwandan genocide would find valuable information in Phodidas’s story. Christians would be encouraged by the author's testimonies of God's deliverance and answers to prayer. This book offers insights into the causes of social unrest that result in violence and killing. Students of political science would benefit from the author’s conclusions about the rise of such movements and how to avoid them.

Preaching from the Grave
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

derialist
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by derialist »

We can all agree that what happened in Rwanda was a great tragedy in the human history. To imagine of all those lives lost in a violent manner like that, including women and children, is just grim reminder of the man's potential to do dispecable acts. I'm glad that we all get to learn from this. Personally, I'd be interested in reading the author's account of what transpired. Nice review!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Ellylion »

I believe, it's a must-read book for everyone. Those tragic events in Rwanda must not and will never be forgotten. The author did a great job researching and creating this book, indeed. Thank you for this amazing review!

Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Joan642 »

This is a really tragic and heartbreaking experience. Thanks for the very insightful review though.

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

derialist wrote: ↑
24 Sep 2020, 06:05
We can all agree that what happened in Rwanda was a great tragedy in the human history. To imagine of all those lives lost in a violent manner like that, including women and children, is just grim reminder of the man's potential to do dispecable acts. I'm glad that we all get to learn from this. Personally, I'd be interested in reading the author's account of what transpired. Nice review!
It was a tragedy played out for all the world to see. That Phodidas was able to survive is even more amazing. You will learn many things from his story. Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

kaivalya_k
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaivalya-k.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by kaivalya_k »

The story is definitely poignant. I have read stories of the Indian partition and rioting. I would love to read about the tragedy of Rwanda.

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Civil Wars are the greatest injury a country can experience. Imagine digging your own grave... History like this should never be forgotten. I'm glad I've learnt some new historical facts today.
I enjoyed reading this review. Thank you for this one.
Live and let live, baby!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Ellylion wrote: ↑
24 Sep 2020, 12:53
I believe, it's a must-read book for everyone. Those tragic events in Rwanda must not and will never be forgotten. The author did a great job researching and creating this book, indeed. Thank you for this amazing review!
I agree. We forget so quickly! The author shares the history of the conflict and his personal experiences. It is a fascinating story. Thanks for your thoughtful comments!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Joan642 wrote: ↑
24 Sep 2020, 18:05
This is a really tragic and heartbreaking experience. Thanks for the very insightful review though.
Some parts are tragic. There are also some very inspiring sections. I hope you will have an opportunity to read about Phodidas's experiences. Thanks for reading and commenting!

FABIAN_BATS
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

This is definitely my kind of book. Thanks for the review, I look forward to reading and learning about Rwandan history from the author's perspective.
Fabian

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kaivalya_k wrote: ↑
24 Sep 2020, 23:42
The story is definitely poignant. I have read stories of the Indian partition and rioting. I would love to read about the tragedy of Rwanda.
The author's experiences add to the historical facts of what happened during this genocide. His recounting of how he came through this tragedy is moving and eye-opening. Thanks for your insightful comments!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: ↑
25 Sep 2020, 06:17
Civil Wars are the greatest injury a country can experience. Imagine digging your own grave... History like this should never be forgotten. I'm glad I've learnt some new historical facts today.
I enjoyed reading this review. Thank you for this one.
You will find this to be an informative and fascinating read with historical facts about the genocide and Phodidas's experiences. Thanks for your thoughtful comments!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

FABIAN_BATS wrote: ↑
25 Sep 2020, 10:32
This is definitely my kind of book. Thanks for the review, I look forward to reading and learning about Rwandan history from the author's perspective.
The author's experiences and the historical facts come together to create an informative and moving read. He also puts forth some insightful recommendations for avoiding a repeat of the events his country suffered. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

Bertha Jackson
Currently Reading: Paris in the Springtime
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Grand Librarian by Dee Rose

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This book sounds like it would make you sit up and think. I would be interested in reading it. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Bertha Jackson wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2020, 14:40
This book sounds like it would make you sit up and think. I would be interested in reading it. Thank you for your review.
The author's experiences during the genocide and his suggestions for avoiding a repeat of this kind of violence are, indeed, food for thought. Thanks for reading and for your thoughtful comments.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”