Official Review: Voting: The Ultimate Act of Resistance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: Voting: The Ultimate Act of Resistance

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Voting: The Ultimate Act of Resistance" by Richard C. Bell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes people claim they understand and practice a democratic system of government, but frankly, they don't. Voting: The Ultimate Act of Resistance by Richard C. Bell was written to raise awareness on a very fundamental democratic process — voting.

The author shares his observations on the havoc that neglecting to vote can wreak on a country and his dismay with the forces attempting to suppress voters, especially those of the minority. He narrates his experiences with fighting some of these voter suppression tactics by volunteering as a voting rights attorney and voter protection advocate. It also gives a call to action for citizens to utilize their right to vote.

If the whole book can be summarized in one word, it will be 'passionate.' The author is passionate about defending voters' rights and encouraging them to vote. He believes that the way to avoid placing the wrong people in power is to come out and vote. This book shows the author's aversion to any tactic or scheme that results in people not being able to vote. His desire to be present in the places with more significant voter suppression reports and make a difference in those places is clear and unwavering.

His writing style is direct and open. He is clear in expressing what and how he feels, and he does not hesitate to back up his theories with points garnered from experience — that of himself and others.

When I read about the author (as I do for most of the books I read), I was worried that this book would be riddled with legal and political jargon. I've never been happier to be disappointed in this regard. The author came down to earth in the use of heavy terminologies that would confuse the reader. He only used terminologies when and where they were needed. Therefore, a layperson could read this book without getting lost. This was the feature of this book I liked most.

I applaud the author for the level of objectivity he showed in the book. Even though he wrote out of his personal experiences, he was logical and reasonable in his approach. His distaste for injustice was evident, but it didn't take him off-track in this presentation. There were also references to other people's work, which added factual depth to the author's discourse.

Richard Bell did a fantastic job in this book. He was able to accomplish what he set out to do, which was to drive home the importance of voting and the need for everyone to exercise that right as citizens of the United States.

The only problem I had with this book was the plethora of errors that flooded it. Hence, it would require another round of professional editing to fix this problem. Therefore, I rate it three out of four stars. I recommend it to every American of voting age. This book would also be relevant material for voters' education in other countries besides the United States.

Voting: The Ultimate Act of Resistance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

As an African, voting as an act of resistance is hard to understand due to how the system works here. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading your insightful review. Thanks for the recommendation.
thend157
Currently Reading: Waterworks
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thend157.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by thend157 »

This sounds like a really interesting book with as you said an interesting perspective on Voting as a way to perserve democracy and one's rights. Sounds like the perfect read because of the U.S. election being so soon. Good review.
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

I'm so sad that the author had so many errors in such a brilliant book! It sounds like an absolute treat, but definitely needs proofreading. Your way of forming the sentences was very captivating, I loved reading your insightful review!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

While reminding the readers our right to vote, I wish the book equally highlighted the reasons and solutions to why people don't vote even after knowing they have the right. I'd definitely have to read this book since I'm now of age to vote 😀.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”