Review by poojkapadia -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
poojkapadia
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojkapadia.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by poojkapadia -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by poojkapadia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is an autobiography written by Jorge P Newbery. He started working at a tender age of seven, found success, and became rich early in life. A severe snow storm crumbled his empire and left him about $26 million in debt just as quickly. Eventually he found stability as Founder and CEO of American Homeowner Preservation.

Newbery begins his autobiography by defining burn zone. In cycling, burn zone is a short period of time towards the end of a race when everyone around you is tired and hurting just as much as you. But you focus on enduring the pain until the pace slows and the effort gets easier. This short period requires extraordinary effort - that tests the limits of your body and mind - to win the race. Burn zones can be found in all the walks of life. The theme of this book is to show how Newbery’s success is the result of preparing for and enduring burn zones.

I liked how the chapters were organized and the general flow of the story. The tone of this book is conversational. Newbery gives a candid account of events in his life – his successes, failures, what led to those outcomes, and what he learned from them. The author analyses events and decisions that shaped his life. The story is well paced generally but dragged towards the end.

His good work ethics is the main takeaway from this book. I admire his resilience in the face of his most trying burn zone and his grit to gradually rebuild his life. His frugality and modesty are commendable. I enjoyed reading the emotional part of his story where he talks about his father. It was good to know about his family and personal life. A supportive family helps build a strong character.

Another point that struck me in Newbery’s memoir is the frequency and ability to change his career. From where I come major career change is rare. I don’t understand his need to do that but I must say he does it well.

The book is professionally edited. It is smooth and easy to read. I rate it 4 out of 4 because there is nothing about this book that I didn’t like. The cover doesn’t match the book’s content. Nevertheless, it’s a pleasant surprise. I recommend this book to people who are looking to change careers. Also, to people looking for motivation, people who feel like they are bogged down, overwhelmed with work, are going through a tough time in life.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html

Post by Letora »

This is such a good book! Plenty to learn from it! Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

A memoir that has a very inspirational success story. Definitely a must-read. Thanks for an insightful review.

poojkapadia
Currently Reading:

Post by poojkapadia »

Letora wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 19:27
This is such a good book! Plenty to learn from it! Great review!
Thanks for stopping by. :)

poojkapadia
Currently Reading:

Post by poojkapadia »

lavenderbooks20 wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 21:04
A memoir that has a very inspirational success story. Definitely a must-read. Thanks for an insightful review.
Indeed it is! Thanks for stopping by.

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Murder in the Marsh by Kevin Carey

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Great review, thanks for the recommendation. I'm glad that the book is has a lot to teach.

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

I liked how you have captured the essence of the book, especially the detailed explanation of 'Burn Zones'. Though autobiography is not something that I am looking out at the moment, I will keep this book in mind for future reference. Thanks for such an insightful review. I really enjoyed reading it. :)

poojkapadia
Currently Reading:

Post by poojkapadia »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 11:34
Great review, thanks for the recommendation. I'm glad that the book is has a lot to teach.
Thanks for stopping by. :)

poojkapadia
Currently Reading:

Post by poojkapadia »

VVaishali wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 11:45
I liked how you have captured the essence of the book, especially the detailed explanation of 'Burn Zones'. Though autobiography is not something that I am looking out at the moment, I will keep this book in mind for future reference. Thanks for such an insightful review. I really enjoyed reading it. :)
I hope you like the book when you read it! Thanks for stopping by :)

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Eutoc »

$26 million in debt??? I bet a handfull of people would come out of it mentally strong. Thanks for this engaging review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”