Review by Intel -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Intel
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Intel -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Intel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tenacious adventures that mold a person into the way they are today. What precisely is a burn zone? A difficult time where an athlete has to endure and preserver when they are tired and have aching muscles. The author of this book uses his imagery and profound words to illustrate many burn zones to the audience. “I started to doubt the wisdom of my strategy. I realized how hot it was, how many miles and stages lay ahead, and wondered whether I was simply setting myself up to bonk." This is just one of the examples of how poetic Jorge P. Newbery is in his autobiography Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands.

He describes his escapades, striving to the top as another challenge to overcome, and another passion to live though. Starting from a selling newspaper, to being an ice cream vendor, proceeding to busboy, becoming a record label owner and stage lender during the tumultuous times of the early Eighties; at the mere age of seventeen.

Even though school was never a top priority for him, Newbery had a knack for business and was highly intelligent. From becoming a world-class biker in Mexico to exponentially moving up the ranks as a man who sold loans and made real-life connections to his clients. In the Nineties and early Twenty-first century, Newbery was ahead of the game entering and exiting many burn zones that would make even some businessmen look inferior. He goes to own and rent thousands of properties, renovating, and reaching out to broken communities in dying complexes.

However, in 2005 he hit a burn zone that would be the turning point of his life. He had become bankrupt of about twenty-six million dollars, due to a snowstorm that had impacted the city. Expenses and being pawned by the city of Columbus made the Woodlands (the complex that was impacted) a demolitionist’s new project. After overcoming turmoil, and getting back on the bike for another ride, Newbery founded the American Homeowner Preservation, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping homeowners cheated in the system.

This book was a major inspiration. I never felt taken out of the story, but fully immersed in a life lived well. The care and selflessness that Jorge P. Newbery portrays in the business world, as well as his respect for the prominent figures in his life, is admirable. Overall, I loved this book and learned a lot from an athletic perspective, and the book was edited well. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I know that Mr. Newbery is a light unto the world and felt proud of his accomplishments.

This book is not suitable for children as it covers profanity and racial slurs, due to the many racial issues discussed in the story. For some readers, this should be avoided.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Ellylion »

Seems to be a really inspiring life story for large audience :) I would definitely give this one a try! Thanks for this insightful review.

Intel
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Intel »

Ellylion wrote: ↑
21 Sep 2020, 10:16
Seems to be a really inspiring life story for large audience :) I would definitely give this one a try! Thanks for this insightful review.
Of course! I am glad that you enjoyed the review, I believe it is insightful to hear about the events of a real person every once in a while.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”