Official Review: More Letters from the Pit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 154
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 614
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Cracker Jacked by Lawrence Sterling III
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: More Letters from the Pit

Post by Miriam Molina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "More Letters from the Pit" by Dr. Patrick J. Crocker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Patrick J. Crocker (Crocker to his colleagues), retired emergency physician, wrote More Letters from the Pit: Stories of a Physician’s Odyssey in Emergency Medicine as a sequel to his Letters from the Pit. Following the conversational style of the first book, Dr. Crocker formatted his stories as letters to Jack, his “great college friend.” There were 40 “Dear Jack” letters in the book, but none were actually sent. I am curious to know what Jack has to say about the letters. Maybe a later edition of the book could feature a “Dear Crocker” for Jack’s reactions.

The stories in the letters usually revolve around particular incidents in the emergency room. The patients and their complaints are identified (though the patients are rarely named), and Dr. Crocker discusses the intricate process of arriving at a diagnosis. We then watch the medical team as they administer life-saving interventions. A few stories transpire out of the hospital: One happens on the street where a fallen Austin 10K runner is attended to. Another is on a cruise ship; the retired Dr. Crocker takes charge after the ship’s medical personnel falter in their efforts to revive a collapsed man. We witness victorious saves, but there are also horrific failures.

While all the stories are about the ravages brought about by illness, we find welcome humor, too. The author cleverly describes a violent patient as similar to King Kong but who unfortunately does not mistake Crocker for Jessica Lange. The reader also discovers the amusing side benefits of Vicks VapoRub.

Each story ends with lessons learned from the exhausting exercise: “Medicine is a team sport.” A doctor should not be quick to judge an ailment as “benign.” Not everyone can be saved.

The preface gives the reader the right orientation in facing the book, and the epilogue wraps everything up satisfactorily. The book ends with a poem about a miraculous recovery. That save clearly made a lasting mark on Dr. Crocker. I will remember that story, too.

The book will be appreciated by emergency medicine practitioners and health personnel, for the stories will certainly be familiar to them. However, even laypeople will be able to enjoy the book because Dr. Crocker defines most of the medical jargon. The reader will experience the adrenaline boost of one gloved and gowned for action in the pit, the emergency room. The squeamish ones who fear gore, needles, and death may not be the right audience for this book.

I would have given a perfect rating for this riveting book if there had been fewer grammatical flaws. Nonetheless, I am sure that the author will be able to doctor the errors to perfection very easily. Until then, I will have to give the book 3 out of 4 stars.

The present global situation underscores the significant role that health workers play in the preservation of the human race. This book will open our eyes to the challenges that they grapple with every day, even without a pandemic. Let us thank them for the work they do, the risks they take, and the sleep they forgo to keep us well.

More Letters from the Pit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Ellylion »

Sorry that such a promising book had that many errors. Hopefully, the author addresses the issue soon! :) Humorous and thrilling ER stories are very appealing to me. Thanks for a great review!

Sou Hi
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange trial
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Get Money Do Good by J.D. Vermaas

Post by Sou Hi »

Thank you for your fantastic review. A book that tells us about the doctors' experience is quite rare, and this looks like a good book with meaningful stories. Usually, we think of doctors as healers, but not all of us know how many hardships they have to endure so that they can save people.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Sou Hi wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 11:17
Thank you for your fantastic review. A book that tells us about the doctors' experience is quite rare, and this looks like a good book with meaningful stories. Usually, we think of doctors as healers, but not all of us know how many hardships they have to endure so that they can save people.
We all have roles to play in this world. We need to respect and complement each other. Thank you for sharing your sentiments.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Ellylion wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 08:46
Sorry that such a promising book had that many errors. Hopefully, the author addresses the issue soon! :) Humorous and thrilling ER stories are very appealing to me. Thanks for a great review!
I highly recommend that you read this, then. Crocker had a 37-year career in the pit. He had seen a lot during that time. I hope to read his first book, too. (It's a pity that OBC has the ten-error limit.)

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Music Has Legs by David Haznaw & Marlene Byrne

Post by Saint Bruno »

It's nice that the author explains the medical jargon in the book. I would love to read this book. Thanks a lot for your recommendation.

Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

Oh such a well written book had errors is so saddening and disappointing. Hopefully with another round of editing even that'll be perfected. This was a very amazing book review!

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Eutoc »

Such a detailed review. While it would be humorous to some, I think a lot would oppose the author's idea of attributing the name king Kong to a human.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Eutoc wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 02:45
Such a detailed review. While it would be humorous to some, I think a lot would oppose the author's idea of attributing the name king Kong to a human.
I am sorry to have offended you. I cannot discuss the particular patient because it would spoil the book, but be assured that the author did not mean to insult the patient. The blame is on me.

Josephe-Anne
2019 Reading Goal: 6
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Diary of the Silent Soul by Maya Simone
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Wow! I've never really thought about ER stories in such a multifaceted way before! Of course, these situations involve life-or-death decisions, but they also deal with everything in between too. I like the examples you mentioned, such as the cruise ship incident and the humorous side effects of Vicks VapoRub. Despite your warning for squeamish people (like me), I am still intrigued by this book.

Thank you for another excellent review, Miriam.
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

rahilshajahan
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

The reader also discovers the amusing side benefits of Vicks VapoRub.
Oh! I still use this. What are the side effects? I know its cheating, because this is not my type of read. Thanks for a detailed review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Saint Bruno wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 13:50
It's nice that the author explains the medical jargon in the book. I would love to read this book. Thanks a lot for your recommendation.
Thank you for your interest. Our present times dictate that we be more mindful of our health and wellness. Familiarizing ourselves with medical jargon will serve us well.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Dreamer80 wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 21:28
Oh such a well written book had errors is so saddening and disappointing. Hopefully with another round of editing even that'll be perfected. This was a very amazing book review!
Thanks for your kind words. I am sure the good doctor will be able to heal the book's minor ailments.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

rahilshajahan wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 06:48
The reader also discovers the amusing side benefits of Vicks VapoRub.
Oh! I still use this. What are the side effects? I know its cheating, because this is not my type of read. Thanks for a detailed review!
Then you will have to remain in suspense, LOL!

Thanks for your visit.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Josephe-Anne wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 06:46
Wow! I've never really thought about ER stories in such a multifaceted way before! Of course, these situations involve life-or-death decisions, but they also deal with everything in between too. I like the examples you mentioned, such as the cruise ship incident and the humorous side effects of Vicks VapoRub. Despite your warning for squeamish people (like me), I am still intrigued by this book.

Thank you for another excellent review, Miriam.
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Thanks for your sweet words. I hope you can overcome your fears enough to read this book. I prescribe a story a day. That won't hurt you, I think. 🙃

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”