Official Review: Navigating This Thing Called Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katie Canedy
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading: Think and grow rich
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: Navigating This Thing Called Life by Myisha Allen

Official Review: Navigating This Thing Called Life

Post by Katie Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Navigating This Thing Called Life" by Myisha Allen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some of us are born perfectly healthy, while many of us have to deal with challenges as soon as we enter the world. Myisha Allen knows all too well what this is like since she was born with them herself. Her book, Navigating This Thing Called Life, is a short story about her life and how she has overcome and handled the challenges presented to her.

Myisha’s mother had a few difficulties before she gave birth to her daughter, which is what caused Myisha to have the disabilities that she has now. Once she was born, things would never seem to turn out the way she plans. Myisha was bullied in school, dealt with sexual abuse, developed more medical conditions, and encountered many more instances that made life difficult for her.

Despite everything that the author has gone through, she keeps a positive attitude the whole time. There are times when she asks why everything must always happen to her, and towards the end of the book, she starts to complain about life being so hard and how things have been a struggle. Truthfully, this is the part that I disliked the most. But after reading the entirety of what the author has been through in her story, readers become more sympathetic towards her.

Navigating This Thing Called Life is an excellent book, showing anyone that reads it that no matter what life throws at you, having the right mindset and a positive attitude can get you through it. One of the characters the author wrote about, Julia, was my favorite one to read about. Julia does not let anything, or anyone, get in the way of her wanting to do things, no matter how dangerous or crazy they may seem. A few of the interactions that Julia had while asking for assistance were interesting to read. Even though disabilities are more understood now than they were one hundred years ago, shock and confusion still strikes those that assume disabilites are a hinderance. The inclusion of Julia and her conversations in the author’s life story is not only necessary but heartwarming.

I did not find a single grammatical error in this book at all; it was perfectly edited. As stated earlier, there are mentions of sexual abuse, so readers should be aware of this fact. Giving Navigating This Thing Called Life anything less than 4 out of 4 stars would be an insult. I recommend this book to anyone that is interested in reading about biographies of those that have special needs. Children should not read it, as the content is too difficult for them to understand. If an older teen is mature enough, they may enjoy this book as well.

Navigating This Thing Called Life
View: on Bookshelves
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

The author must have gone through a lot, the book must very emotional , I would like to read this in future. Great review
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Callme joan
Currently Reading: HO Tactics
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Callme joan »

Thos seems like a very enlightening book that I would love to enjoy. I am looking forward to enjoying the biography as i get inspired to have the right mindset and positive attitude no matter what life throws my way. Clearly, disability is not inability. Thank you for the great review.

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: The Paris Photo by Jane S. Gabin

Post by Slater678 »

I like the positivity from the author's writing. Thanks for the great review.

Blu_Poison
Favorite Book: Dorian Gray
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Blu_Poison »

A pretty decent, empathetic review. I't is very easy to become caught up in our own circumstances; to think we've been dealt a bad set of cards but there's always someone who has it worse, thus a bit of humility can go a long way. I would like to read this book soon.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”