Official Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life..." by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Allen Lycka is wrongly misdiagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and told he had sixty days to live. On inquiring how the diagnosis would be confirmed, he is blatantly told through an autopsy. That was a heartbreaking and devastating moment. This was a brutal statement coming from a trained neurologist. But he never gave up. Harriet Tinka was a model and an ultra-marathon runner. Unfortunately, her life took another turn when she was mercilessly beaten, cut, and left for dead. Her survival was miraculous, but the fight to get her life on the right trajectory was not over. These two accounts converge at one point; a turning point to keep fighting and inspire others.

The Secrets to Living A Fantastic Life: Two Survivors Reveal the 13 Golden Pearls They’ve Discovered was co-authored by Dr. Allen Lycka and Harriet Tinka. The book is written in form of short stories and interviews and packed with striking quotations. The interviews were lively, and one feels as though they are listening to two close friends discussing what they are passionate about. One will also find activities that will help in the application of some golden pearls to everyday life.

The pearls addressed in the book are not only essential in life but also give it meaning. They were presented straightforwardly and backed up with adequate examples from the authors’ own experiences. The first golden pearl that was discussed was love. The authors did a comprehensive work describing how the Greeks categorized love into seven distinct types. I was astonished to find out that ‘Eros’ was actually wild and crazy love. It involved losing control of oneself, and learning this helps one see that it cannot be the foundation of any relationship. The other pearls were equally important and handled comprehensively.

What I liked most about the book is that it taught me even the most devastating experiences in life can be transformational. They can be springboards to help one launch into another phase of inspiring oneself and others too. I learned that even defeat is not really failure unless one decides it to be so. It is also enthralling that I can still focus on my life purpose, relentlessly pursuing it, and yet not lose sight of the beauty and wonder that nature offers every day. This book is timely as well because the world is now grappling with the COVID-19 pandemic and there is a need to learn how to change the narrative. Dr. Lycka rightly states that if we don’t learn the lessons of history, we will always be its victim.

This is a self-help book whose lessons readers can modify to their own circumstances and start living a triumphant life. It is a reminder that we do not often determine what life throws at us but how we react to it is in our power. I heartily rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited, and there is nothing I disliked about it. The book is most suitable for those at the lowest moments in their lives or trying to find meaning in life. Any ardent fan of self-help books can read it as well. Eventually, everyone will not be left the same way they were before reading the book.

The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

I did this book sometimes back, and I would say it's a very inspiring book, thanks for the detailed review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence

Omega 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omega-6.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Omega 6 »

This will definitely be some inspirational book. It is hard though to stand up when it seems everything has crashed on you.

SamaylaM
Currently Reading: The King of May
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by SamaylaM »

In a time like ours, we do need motivation to push forward. Your review covered a lot of themes I'd love to read in a self-help book. Thank you for writing it in such depth!

Dayodiola
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dayodiola »

The best are those who will stand after they must have fallen.

moonopam
Currently Reading: Four Kittens in the Bathroom
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonopam.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by moonopam »

Dr. Allen and Tinka seems to give hope to the hopeless and strength to those who perceive themselves as weak. It seems to be a great book worth reading. For we all go through ups and downs in life.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”