Review by Anngladys -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fict...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Review by Anngladys -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fict...

Post by Anngladys »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Title: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide
Author: William H. Cole

William H. Cole’s Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide is a book about how to write a fiction book. The author, William H. Cole, gives practical steps and information that is easy to understand and apply. William is an award winning writer.

The book is divided into two parts. Part one is titled The Literary Story in Fiction and part two, Creating a Literary Fictional Story. Part one seem to be more suitable for writers who are just beginning their journey while part two would be for more experienced writers.

The author teaches the reader about what comes into play when writing a literary fiction story. The elements included are structure, character, dialogue, narration, point of view (close and distant), writing in scene, humor, drama and the all necessary but painful revision. This is done in a technical way, and this is good for readers who prefer to get clear and crisp instructions to work with. Those who prefer a book with more personality and a more personal touch may not quite enjoy this mode of presentation.

What I liked about the book was how simply the information was presented. That is always a winner for me. It is easy to understand what the author meant and put it to good use. I enjoyed the book because I love writing. I also like to know how other writers approach the craft and I was glad to get a sneak preview into Cole’s mind. I also found the definitions of difficult words that the author gives at the beginning of every chapter helpful.

The book is informative and very resourceful. I agree with much of what he has said because it has also been my experience. Some of the examples may be unfamiliar to the readers, but that only goes to show how widely read the author is.

There is nothing that I disliked about the book.

I would give this book a rating of four out of four stars because of its resourceful nature. I would recommend the book to people who would like to write a fiction book. This is definitely a good, helpful and very resourceful guide. The book is suitable for those who are just beginning their writing career/journey, and also for those who have some experience in the same. The chapter on revisions is definitely extremely valuable for both novice and experienced writers.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

A simple and resourceful book about writing fiction sounds great. I am adding this book to my to-read list. Thanks for the detailed review.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

A comprehensive guide on writing fiction that is simple and easy to understand. Sounds very helpful. Great review!
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I feel you with the simplicity of the information. That's my favorite thing about the book too. No big, complex words or concepts to make it look smart when in fact it's smartness is in its ease. Loved the book. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”