Official Review: The Son I Knew Too Late by Sally Raymond

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: The Son I Knew Too Late by Sally Raymond

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Son I Knew Too Late" by Sally Raymond.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you leading a fulfilling life? Do you feel like you have unfulfilled emotional issues from the past? As parents, is it possible to guide our children to avoid emotional and psychological pitfalls? Sally A. Raymond invites readers to learn about our emotional and psychological development based on Dr. Erik Erikson’s Eight Stages of Human Development. Her motivation for writing this non-fiction book, The Son I Knew Too Late, was the troubled life of her firstborn, Jon.

According to Erikson, every person passes through the same development stages with a predictable “sequence of emotional challenges.” Our ability to confront and resolve the emotional crisis posed by each stage determines our ability to mature healthily. Any unresolved issues of a previous stage leave us vulnerable to problems in the future.

Jon witnessed domestic abuse when he was only two years old. When he was four, he was sexually molested. When his parents divorced, he believed he was a “too bad boy,” who caused his father to leave. How would these crises affect Jon emotionally and psychologically? How would they affect his future?

I enjoyed the book’s format a great deal. The author opened each chapter with an overview of Jon and what she remembered about him at each stage. She gave honest descriptions of how she and others responded to Jon’s development and crises. After explaining what to expect at each stage of growth, she explained Dr. Erikson's description of the stage. This was followed by practical suggestions of activities and questions to apply either to yourself or your child. The author reflected on how she could have handled Jon’s circumstances. Her honesty about how she believed she had succeeded or failed with her son astounded me. I think her honesty is what makes this book so compelling. She carried each concept from theory to reality by sharing her family history.

Parents begin the process of raising their progeny with high hopes. It doesn’t take long for the question to arise, “What do I do?” Sally Raymond’s book will guide parents through these moments of uncertainty. Adults can also benefit from acquainting themselves with Erikson’s stages for emotional health. “When we use Erikson’s chart to look back on our lives, it gives us the keys to begin to heal our past and reshape our future.” (p. 12)

Sally included a helpful list of organizations to contact should the reader detect disturbing characteristics in a friend or loved one. These professionals specialize in the areas of depression, shoplifting, runaways, suicide, bullying, among others. There is also a list of suggested books for different age groups.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I couldn’t find anything to dislike about this book. The author’s candid interpretation of each stage, the relatable illustrations from her family life, and the relatively few errors I found made this a pleasant and educative read. Parents, educators, and counselors would benefit from this book to help children achieve emotional and psychological success at each stage. Adults, in general, could use knowledge of the eight stages to heal past wounds and live a fulfilling and satisfying life.

The Son I Knew Too Late
View: on Bookshelves
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great and very enlightening read for a large audience. I would definitely give it a try! :) Thanks for a great review!
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Very tough childhood for Jon. Thank you for the introduction!
Daisy Cheruto
Currently Reading: Amora
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Daisy Cheruto »

Through your review,the books sounds interesting and enlightening !poor Jon🤒. I recommend it to others . Thanks
Callme joan
Currently Reading: HO Tactics
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Callme joan »

Thank you for the review. It definitely sounds like an emotional book that i would read.
JessiAnne26
Currently Reading: A Novel Bookstore
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessianne26.html
Latest Review: "Positive Thinking Positive Life: The Mindset" by Phil Hunter

Post by JessiAnne26 »

I like your writing style more than some of the other reviews I'm reading through. The engagement and enthusiasm in your review makes me feel like i'm more likely to read a book you recommend than not.
Latest Review: "Positive Thinking Positive Life: The Mindset" by Phil Hunter
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

This sounds like a much-needed book. I am a firm believer that parents can spare most of their kids' troubles and traumas when they truly pay attention. Great review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

What a rough childhood Jon had. I hope to read this book and learn more about Dr. Erikson's chart. Thanks for your review.
Fabian
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

JessiAnne26 wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 16:38 I like your writing style more than some of the other reviews I'm reading through. The engagement and enthusiasm in your review makes me feel like i'm more likely to read a book you recommend than not.
Lovely comment!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Sounds like this book can shed much-needed light on parenting skills. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

Sounds like an interesting book for parents. Thank you for the informative review.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Oh man! Poor guy Jon. Its unfair when parents can be so sh*t, especially when they are responsible for bringing you to this world in the first place. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Ellylion wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 08:45 Sounds like a great and very enlightening read for a large audience. I would definitely give it a try! :) Thanks for a great review!
This book has so much information. It is useful for helping others and for reflecting on one's emotional journey. I hope you like it! Thanks for your encouraging comments.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Ada Ling wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 10:20 Very tough childhood for Jon. Thank you for the introduction!
It was quite instructive to read about what happened, how the mother handled the situation, how she wished she would have handled it, and what was the final outcome. I hope you have an opportunity to read all of Jon's story. Thanks for reading and commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Daisy Cheruto wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 11:27 Through your review,the books sounds interesting and enlightening !poor Jon🤒. I recommend it to others . Thanks
I am so happy that you enjoyed the review. I hope you will read the book, too! Thank you for the and encouraging words. :-)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”