Review by kparikh -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kparikh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kparikh.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kparikh -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by kparikh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newberry is an intriguing autobiography surrounding his entrepreneurial spirit. His book outlines how he builds his financial status from nothing to become a real estate mogul with over 4,000 apartments, and how he loses it all. This book takes you from when he was 7 years old, all the way to the present where he has now recovered from the massive debt he was in. The author of this book, Jorge Newberry, is currently the CEO of American Homeowner Preservation where he has helped many people get discounts off of their debt. He also frequently writes for the Huffington Post, amongst other publications. Aside from that, for a short period in time, namely 4 years, he competed in bike races for a living. This is where he thought of the concept of "burn zones". He explains "burn zones" at the beginning of the book, calling them points in the race where an extreme amount of effort is used. These zones would ultimately divide the winners and losers of the race. This concept can also be applied to life.

In this book, I liked how he connected his biking career to his entrepreneurial one. When he applied the "burn zones" to his life, it connected beautifully. He wrote about his burn zones and showed you how tough it was to be able to make it in the environment he grew up in. He also had something to write about, oftentimes with autobiographies, people will be writing simply about how one singular event changed their life, in this book he talked about many that all had an important role to play in how he turned out. His stories are extremely unique, I have never heard of anyone who has done many of the things he has done. This book shows the grit and perseverance needed to get from having nothing to everything.

This book gave me nothing to dislike. It kept my interest throughout his story and never failed to surprise me with his spirit and persistence. He had a very out-of-the-box way of thinking that fueled his career. Even though he was young when he first started he found a way to keep his employer satisfied while still making the maximum amount of money. He went from biking as a newspaper boy to biking with a case of ice cream on him. Interestingly enough, this was how he first started going into biking. Furthermore I was extremely happy with how he described how he hopped from job to job. He talked how he climbed the ladder to get to the top and gave an in-depth explanation as to why he went with the job he chose.

I think this book would appeal to anyone who has an entrepreneurial spirit or wants to "climb the ladder". This book does talk about financials briefly but everything is explained. If you had no expertise on the topics this book surrounds, you would still be satisfied after you read the book on your understanding of all the concepts. His explanations of the topics covered in this book are in-depth enough to give you an accurate representation of what he is talking about, but won't bore you. This book had minimal errors. This makes it easy for me to call it professionally edited.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book takes you through the trials and triumphs of Jorge Newberry's life and it flows through beautifully. He draws you in from the beginning and leaves you with a new understanding of the importance of perseverance. He knows how to keep you interested, using brief words to describe the boring times in his life and going into intricate detail to explain the time in his life where he was constantly growing. This is one of my new favorite autobiographies simply because I feel as if this book allows me to step into his shoes from when he was a kid, all the way into adulthood. It has given me a new perspective on life and how everything can always be done better.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”