Official Review: Agile Artist by Colin Egglesfield

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: Agile Artist by Colin Egglesfield

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Agile Artist" by Colin Egglesfield.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Agile Artist: Life Lessons from Hollywood and Beyond is a heartfelt memoir by acclaimed actor, speaker, philanthropist, and real estate entrepreneur Colin Egglesfield. This compilation of stories and reflections has given him a platform to authentically pull back the (velvet) curtain to give readers and fans a behind-the-scenes look at his artistic journey thus far. Through some of his charity work and philanthropic pursuits, he is also able to highlight “the fulfillment that comes with having a purpose in life.” In this book, he aims to capture the essence of what it truly means to be an artist.

After more than 20 years spent in the entertainment industry, Egglesfield has many memorable stories to share about rehearsals, auditions, managers, casting directors, headshots, screen tests, sound stages, publicists, commercial shoots, film scripts, chemistry reads, acting classes, and soap opera scenes. Conversely, he has also experienced his fair share of losses, failures, heartbreaks, and defeats. He praises the benefits of career coaches, vision boards, goal manifestation, meditation, and gratitude journals, but he also displays a genuine sense of vulnerability when discussing the cancer diagnosis he (twice) endured.

Egglesfield emphasizes the importance of being agile enough to adapt to change. He urges everyone to embrace impulsive spontaneity in order to potentially stumble upon a new vocation or hobby. He encourages all readers and dreamers to seek a creative outlet of cathartic expression. On the morning of 9/11, he watched the Twin Towers begin to fall from his elevated studio apartment across the street. From his 18th-floor window, he stood paralyzed by a sense of helplessness as he watched terrified citizens begin to jump to their deaths to avoid the raging, crumbling inferno. For anyone who thinks this book may offer little more than mentions of romantic comedies or Versace campaigns, it is so much more than that. Certain monumental events have a way of quickly putting a wide range of perceived fears into relative perspective for us all. This author shows us why we should not take life for granted.

I did enjoy seeing a varied mix of inspirational celebrity quotes and a grouped inclusion of color photographs that depict some of the author’s collective career achievements. Readers will see some featured movie posters, celebrity interactions, and shots from some of Egglesfield’s various modeling and advertising campaigns. Several sections of the book even end with summarized lists of “Takeaway Action Tips” that help to reiterate some of his aforementioned points of broad life advice.

I do feel that the majority of the sections have been coherently presented in an organized pattern, but I think the initial portions of material would make a stronger impact if the first two chapters swapped places. Chronologically speaking, it would be easier for readers to envision the collegiate years and Egglesfield’s foray into modeling before the traumatic recollections of 9/11 are presented. This reorganization would help solidify a reader familiarity with the persona of the main man before suddenly needing to digest the traumatically heavy material of such an event. There was nothing I actively disliked about the storytelling component, but this was my least favorite attribute of the 301-page presentation as a whole.

I would gladly recommend this title to readers who enjoy celebrity memoirs and to anyone who enjoys an autobiographical exploration with a self-help component. There is an infrequent presence of scattered profanity; there is no sexually mature content that would make it inappropriate for younger age groups. I would, however, advise any readers who may be sensitive to the tragedies of 9/11 to approach chapter one with a cautious forewarning, as several aspects of the terror and aftermath of that day are explained in gruesomely realistic detail.

I did encounter more than ten grammatical and typographical errors throughout the course of my reading, and I felt their presence became distracting to a discernible degree. As a result, I am required to deduct a star and assign this book a rating of 3 out of 4. If this memoir were to undergo another round of corrective editing (in order to give it the final polish it deserves), it would easily earn a perfect rating overall. Everyone seeks acknowledgment, appreciation, and gratitude, but to earn those things, we must first display persistence, perseverance, and optimism. Doubts, diagnoses, devastating disappointments, and insecurities will eventually affect us all, but luckily, we each possess an innate resourcefulness that allows us to remain curious, take risks, and try new things. It’s time we stop procrastinating and start living life to the fullest!

Agile Artist
View: on Bookshelves
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I haven't been interested in memoirs until I read one recently. Thanks for this insightful review and recommendation.
AvidBibliophile

Saint Bruno wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 09:26 I haven't been interested in memoirs until I read one recently. Thanks for this insightful review and recommendation.
Appreciate you checking this one out! A genuinely interesting person can often tell their story in an engaging way that makes you want to read more.
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

This sounds like a very interesting book to read in so many ways. I can’t even imagine witnessing the events unfold from 9/11 especially from across the street! I’m sure he has seen and done and experienced more than most of us and now he is in the midst of a pandemic along with ALL of us. We all have life experiences that make us who we are and he, as you stated, feels there are reasons why we should not take life for granted. I wholeheartedly agree. Excellent review may I say! Thanks! And🤞he gets the errors correct!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 13:36 This sounds like a very interesting book to read in so many ways. I can’t even imagine witnessing the events unfold from 9/11 especially from across the street! I’m sure he has seen and done and experienced more than most of us and now he is in the midst of a pandemic along with ALL of us. We all have life experiences that make us who we are and he, as you stated, feels there are reasons why we should not take life for granted. I wholeheartedly agree. Excellent review may I say! Thanks! And🤞he gets the errors correct!
Interesting indeed, and I coincidentally happened to get this one submitted ON 9/11 of 2020, so many coincidences seem to find us when we least expect them to. The contents of this memoir are empowering and humorous, sad at times, but inspirational overall. May we all find a way to share our stories and find our unique paths as life inevitably marches on. This author is still busy at work, rehabbing houses and properties on the south side of Chicago! Thank you for your kind words of feedback and support on this one. :star:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I appreciate the author's ability to balance the tragic events with humorous anecdotes. He helps us remember that life is fleeting and not to be taken for granted. His insights and experiences point to a full life that can inspire others. Thanks for the recommendation!
AvidBibliophile

kdstrack wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 16:37 I appreciate the author's ability to balance the tragic events with humorous anecdotes. He helps us remember that life is fleeting and not to be taken for granted. His insights and experiences point to a full life that can inspire others. Thanks for the recommendation!
He honestly did a commendable job balancing moments of upbeat motivation with periods of emotional vulnerability. Tragic events have touched as all, but sometimes hearing about the effects from a celebrity makes those harder parts of life seem that more approachable and surmountable. INSPIRE and help he certainly does! Thanks for the kind words.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Hopefully the author fixes all the issues, the book sounds like a great read to all memoir lovers! :) Thanks you for this amazing review!
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I have no problems reading an autobiography as long as it’s written nicely. I’m sure there’s a lot to learn from Colin’s experience in the entertainment industry.

Great job with the lovely review. Thank you.
AvidBibliophile

Ellylion wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 05:36 Hopefully the author fixes all the issues, the book sounds like a great read to all memoir lovers! :) Thanks you for this amazing review!
Thanks so much! And I completely agree, I think memoir appreciators (and his fans especially) will find this one quite endearing AND entertaining.
AvidBibliophile

Christieee wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 08:06 I have no problems reading an autobiography as long as it’s written nicely. I’m sure there’s a lot to learn from Colin’s experience in the entertainment industry.

Great job with the lovely review. Thank you.
I’m with you on that. The overall storytelling ability and writing quality can be the very thing that makes or breaks any autobiography or memoir! It was really interesting to read about all the various auditions and set visits and modeling gigs. Thanks for stopping by!
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

I'm curious to find out the mindset of an artist at the top. Wonderful review.
AvidBibliophile

pablo10 wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 21:14 I'm curious to find out the mindset of an artist at the top. Wonderful review.
Thanks so much! He’s a really inspiring guy with lots of fun stories and tips for following whatever it is you’re passionate about.
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This book sounds absolutely fascinating! I'd love to read it based on your descriptions. Thanks for a wonderful review!
AvidBibliophile

Bookworm101520 wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 21:36 This book sounds absolutely fascinating! I'd love to read it based on your descriptions. Thanks for a wonderful review!
I greatly appreciate your positive feedback on this one! I think you’d really enjoy the journey. Thank you for the sweet words.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”