Review by NGM15 T+ -- Schmooze by Cody Lowry

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NGM15 T+
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngm15-t.html
Latest Review: An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

Review by NGM15 T+ -- Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by NGM15 T+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Schmooze" by Cody Lowry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For the first time since I started reading books, I have never enjoyed a book more than I have enjoyed Schmooze by Cody Lowry. Schmooze is a collection of captivating experiences all written with a wry sense of humor. The author begins by defining the operative term schmooze, which he describes as a way of life, building relationships, having chutzpah, fun, and developing humor which can be used to enrich the lives of others. He went on to give a brief background of his childhood and how it all shaped him into a stone-cold schmoozer and a motivational entrepreneur. One of the remarkable aspects about his childhood which he shared with some levity was moving thirty-two times within a seven-mile radius in seven years. Life wasn’t pleasant for him and his siblings as he had to enter the workforce earlier in life, working as a paperboy for Miami news.

Against the odds, the author went to college and attained his college degree in advertising and public relations in four years with no financial assistance. Being raised by a single mother, Cody reiterates how Hugh Hoffman played a critical role in his life as he went to college up to the time he finished. The greatest and most exquisite chronology the author humorously chronicles after he graduated from the University of South Florida in Tamp are worth mentioning. When he was working as a general new-vehicle manager at Abraham Chevrolet Cody managed to schedule a meeting with President Jimmy Carter in just one week. Together with his revered friend Father Caulfield as a way to honor the honorary chairman of the charity organization they were developing he managed to present to the outgoing chairman a baseball autographed by Pope John Paul II. After he asked about the financial status of his friend Coach Stram who was the NHL Hall of fame head coach he was given the Super Bowl Ring as a way to thank him for his compassion.

Going through all the stories and looking at how the author managed to schmooze his way to make these noble achievements one would be challenged to have a different view of the world. What I liked most about this book is the ability to relate on many fronts as I live with a bona fide schmoozer who is also my mentor. I am an introvert and I must say am still striving to get my Ph.D. in schmoozing as I have realized over the years that there is nothing you can’t get if you can network and schmooze your way out. Apart from his marvelous ability to share his experiences the author throughout the book provided an incredible takeaway at the end of every chapter. These nuggets which were laced with spectacular quotes were quite touching and informative. It would be a disservice to this review if I don’t mention that this book was written by someone who was once a stand-up comedian and impressionist hence you can laugh your lungs out as you peruse the pages. The greatest lesson I learned from this book was kindness, how it can change your life and that of others, always be kind.

For the aforementioned reasons, I would graciously award this captivating page-turner 4 out 4 stars. The short stories were intricately woven and the author could reference the previous chapters to jog the memory of the reader. The book was professionally edited I must say, I did not come across any typos or grammatical errors. It’s either the author has a photographic memory or he diarized some of the events in his life as the chronology was impeccable, the subtle detailing was fascinating.

I would recommend this book first to all fellow introverts and timid people out there, it might be enjoyable to be alone sometimes but it’s really important to schmooze and network. To the great thinkers, innovators, and dreamers who probably have the word impossible in their vocabulary, this book will teach you the importance of chutzpah and schmoozing all the way to change the impossible in to possible. Entrepreneurs and those who wish to be entrepreneurs this book is really for you, simple acts of kindness and networking will go a long way in changing your destiny. I cannot find any reader who will not find this book unappealing to their taste.

Schmooze
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”