Official Review: Quest for Exceptional Love

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Secondary Break by marvin williams sr

Official Review: Quest for Exceptional Love

Post by Christieee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Quest for Exceptional Love" by Darla Colinet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Quest for Exceptional Love by Darla Colinet is a Christian book that aims to empower Christian individuals, especially women, to discover how to have healthier relationships both with themselves and others. In the book, the author reveals that for over forty years of her life, she was unable to discover what love truly meant, and as a result, she lowered her love standards and got into three abusive marriages.

Darla is now married to a man who truly respects her, and she has found the will avoid toxic friendships. With this book, Darla shares insight into how she learned God’s words and overcame her fantasies of what love should look like. The author hopes to inspire people to transform any toxicity in their life to live a life full of God’s love. This book will open your eyes to the vastness of God’s love and teach you how to be like Christ.

I found this book very valuable. Colinet was not merely relying on her human wisdom, but she included many Bible verses to confirm her words. She even clarified some verses that are often misconstrued to force us to accept abuse. An example is a popular verse that if someone slaps you on your right cheek, you should turn the other cheek. I like that the author still encouraged readers to seek professional counseling and therapy. Colinet also shared some of her personal stories, and this helped the book feel less like a lecture. At the end of every chapter, “Treasure Chests” were included so that readers can ask themselves meaningful questions to aid their progress. I found this practical and helpful.

At later parts of the book, however, it seemed that the author was merely saying the same thing but in many different ways. I found this tiring. In the beginning, the author included personal stories to help drive her message home, but eventually, the stories became sparse, and her message ended up feeling more like a lecture. I wish that the author kept including personal anecdotes throughout the book. An example is when the author likened her spiritual journey to her real-life job of transforming houses. In the places that Colinet shared stories, I’m very sure that I will not forget her words for a long time.

I loved every other thing about the book because, as a Christian, I could relate to many of the author’s views. As a result, I can say that this book will only be suitable for Christian readers. Non-Christians may find it overbearing. However, a non-Christian can still enjoy this book if they read it with an open mind. I recommend it to Christians who are deeply interested in transforming their lives and relationships. There is no profanity or eroticism, but there is mention of rape, and this can be a trigger to some readers. I found not even one error here, and so I conclude that it was professionally edited. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars because my complaints do not detract from the overall quality of the book.

Quest for Exceptional Love
View: on Bookshelves

Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I think author did a good job and a lot of hard work to write this book. Thanks for a nice review.

RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by RHD »

Wow, this one seems like a must read. The issue of abusive relationships hasn't been discussed enough. An additional voice of hope and reason is highly welcome. Good job on the review 👍

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: The Paris Photo by Jane S. Gabin

Post by Slater678 »

I like the included stories from the author's own experience and the discussion on toxic relationships. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Luluwa79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight

Post by Luluwa79 »

"Experience is the best teacher" according to a popular proverb. The author used her experience to motivate others.
The extent of your relationship with God determines how your eyes of your understanding will be open to him.
Thanks for giving us the insight of the book and the summary.

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Nqobile771 »

My takeaway from your review of the book is that love can take various forms for various people. To find and know true love we must look to God. Thanks for the review.

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

The things we do for love and the things we mistake for love are unimaginable. I can't fully understand the author's story unless I read this book, which I might if I get the chance.
This is a really good review. I enjoyed reading it. And I like your recommendation.
Live and let live, baby!

moonopam
Currently Reading: Four Kittens in the Bathroom
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonopam.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by moonopam »

:congratualtions-smiley: :congratualtions-smiley: Nice review Christieee. As a Christian I feel encouraged to read this book. I would like to know more about how Colinet got out of the toxic marriage and how she is enjoying her new non toxic marriage. What changed her perspective and how is she handling the new marriage so that it is health and not toxic.?

JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: Bayou Blitz by Mike Kelly

Post by JKO »

Hmm... I want to discover how women can have healthier relationships both with themselves and others from a biblical perspective. This is an insightful review.

Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Drado_27 »

Seems like an interesting read even for non-Christians, just to take a peek into mind of a person with a different background. Lovely review!

Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Joan642 »

So many people do not understand the true meaning of love, I don't think you can clearly explain what it means to be truly loved. I would really like to read this book, the author combined her human wisdom and that of the Bible to give us a wonderful guide. Thanks for the review.

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Saint Bruno »

Any book that gives insights on the intricate nature of human relationships is welcome by me. Thanks for your wonderful review and recommendation.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Magnify3 »

Great review. I am glad that the author shared her experiences. This book can help others.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”