Official Review: Back From the brink

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: bLU TALKS PRESENTS - Business, Life and the Universe by Corey Poirier and Dr. Allen Lycka

Official Review: Back From the brink

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Back From the brink" by Stanley Labovitz and George Labovitz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The effects of disruptions are not new to any entrepreneur. Challenges from competitors, technological advancements, and even pandemics, like the one experienced this year, are a few of these disruptions. How can businesses survive through all this? In Back from the Brink: A Framework for Leaders in Times of Disruption, Stanley Labovitz and George Labovitz aim to guide business owners, leaders, and managers on steadying the ship and excelling in turbulent times by focusing on "aligning" four key areas, including strategy, people, customers, and processes, revolving around leadership.

The authors have a wealth of experience in this area, as they are both CEOs of successful companies and have been involved in assessing businesses to aid their improvement. So, I had high hopes of learning a few new things from this book. I'm happy to say that my expectations were fulfilled on that end. Nevertheless, there are some areas that require improvement.

The information in the book is geared towards ensuring that everyone in an organization, from the top to the bottom, has the same vision and is conversant with the values of the organization. I like that this includes the customers as well because ensuring that you keep hold of your customers is the most important thing, especially in rough times. The authors recognize this and discuss it as the first course of action. This is then followed by applying their special analytical tools to discern the misalignment in the four key areas and tackling the problems proactively.

The authors' experience is further highlighted by their inclusion of stories on the job to help readers see the effects of misalignment, how to apply the alignment diagnostic tools, and making an informed decision on aligning the organization based on the analysis. There are also illustrations that help readers get the full picture of the authors' lessons.

However, my complaints about the book revolved around how technical it is. I would have preferred a simple language to have been employed, as it would have aided an easy understanding of the contents of the book. There were even times when the authors discussed statistical analysis in a way that I could barely keep up with. Thankfully, the authors employed repetition, which helped me understand most of what was discussed in the text. Another concern I have is that the examples included in the book will not be relatable to small business owners. While there are points that small business owners can pick up and learn from, it would have helped to include a few detailed examples of how alignment can be achieved in small businesses.

Overall, the book is informative and well researched. Lessons on how leaders can be created through situations stuck out to me, and I also picked up on employing the five big questions and seven partnering questions as guides to shape the vision and culture of my organization and work with customers. Motivational quotes are included at the beginning of every chapter. The book is also a well-edited book, as I found very few errors while reading. The issues I experienced while reading means that I cannot give the maximum rating. However, the lessons I picked up means that I cannot go lower than a 3 out 4 rating.

I would recommend this book to entrepreneurs seeking to revive and improve their businesses.

Back From the brink
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Blu_Poison
Favorite Book: Dorian Gray
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Blu_Poison »

Your review is decent and honest, and you have tried to be fair so thanks for that. The books theme is one of a very specific niche thus I feel like anybody who read the description to the book who is a novice to what was being discussed shouldn't presume to make much sense of the subject matter, simply because the target market is a constrained, narrow and focused audience.

honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by honesty_pays »

What an interesting self-help book that could guide entrepreneurs on how to work their business. Thanks for the honest review

prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: Coming Home by D.A. Grey

Post by prospero360 »

The book seems not to apply to people like me and our businesses. It seems like it will help those with an in-depth knowledge of statistics, though.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”