Official Review: Don’t let it Show

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Blood in the Water by Rick Outzen

Official Review: Don’t let it Show

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don’t let it Show" by Randy S. Boucher.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Don’t Let It Show, written by Randy Boucher, is a candid first-person account of the author’s life. This honest memoir revolves around the difficulties of accepting one’s homosexuality.

Of humble origins, Boucher had a tumultuous childhood. His dad was a house painter, and his mother, Joyce, was a homemaker who suffered from depression and alcoholism. The author remembers how his parents argued all the time, and his mom cried a lot. She tried to kill herself on more than one occasion, and the police frequently appeared at their home due to these episodes.

What I most appreciated in this book was the author’s honesty. I enjoyed his straightforward, unvarnished, and bold style of narrating his feelings and experiences. He leaves no stone unturned and describes how he was curious about other boys ever since he can remember. He always had a sense that he was gay but felt that he could not tell his family or friends. They were Jehovah's Witnesses, and Boucher explains how religion made his life particularly difficult. Only his sister-in-law, Nancy, married to his older brother Ray, noticed the signs.

The book’s greatest strength is Boucher’s touching account of his struggles to find his true identity. Similarly to many teenagers, he felt guilty about his desires, and he prayed about it. After his baptism, the author felt as if religious fervor could solve his impulses. For instance, seeking to subdue his urges, the author got married to Wendy, whom he met in church when he was still a teenager. He was only 19 years old when their son Randy was born. His attraction to other men did not go away, though.

Unfortunately, I generally felt that the author meandered through unnecessary details, and he also repeated himself a few times. These aspects were what I disliked the most about the book. Boucher’s story is remarkable, and I believe a professional editor could significantly improve it.

In closing, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I subtracted one star due to the excessive details and unnecessary repetitions, and I took away the second star because the text had spelling and grammatical errors. The book would greatly benefit from a round of professional editing. Still, it is an extraordinary story that I enjoyed reading. It is, as you may imagine, a book for adults; it has an abundance of profanity and erotic content. I recommend it to open-minded readers who are interested in homosexuality. If you have conservative values, you should probably steer clear of it.

Don’t let it Show
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

dm1971
Currently Reading: Schmooze
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by dm1971 »

This book has so much potential; unfortunately, the unnecessary repetitions and blunders hinder its readers from enjoying it. I relish how insightful and detailed your review.

Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

The story is great. I don't think that 2 star rating is right for this book. However, everyone's choice differ. Anyways, that was a great detailed review.

Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Drado_27 »

I'm glad that the society is changing and that the homosexual people can finally lead a life they deserve. Seems like the book can be improved. I'm looking forward to reading it in the future. Great review!

Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ebby Brown »

I can imagine what the author went through while struggling with his identity. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”