Official Review: Highlight Real by Emily Lynn Paulson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Official Review: Highlight Real by Emily Lynn Paulson

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Highlight Real" by Emily Lynn Paulson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been through something in your life that made you want to run away, not just metaphorically, but literally go to some new place where you could start over? You may have royally messed up, and you hoped that leaving would allow you to escape the judgment and condemnation of others. You may have been wounded, and you believed that new scenery would allow you to outrun the persistent pain that plagued you. If you have felt this way, then you will be able to relate to Emily Paulson.

Highlight Real: Finding Honesty and Recovery Beyond the Filtered Life, by Emily Lynn Paulson, is an enthralling memoir. Having weathered many obstacles throughout her life, Paulson retells her story with charisma, humor, and transparency. She confesses to inventing outrageous lies as a child just because she wanted to appear favorable in the eyes of others. Above and beyond this, she narrates more shocking, gut-wrenching events. These events include being raped at the age of twelve, experiencing multiple sexual assaults later in life, wrestling with an eating disorder, and battling alcoholism.

No matter how many times she changed her zip code, the problems that she faced came along for the ride. They may have come in a slightly different form or more attractive packaging, but eventually, she learned she could not overcome her problems by running. She would have to face them, and facing them meant finally being honest with herself and her family. Her memoir takes the reader along through her journey; her highlight real.

This book has many strengths. The story is told at a good pace and therefore doesn't bog down. Some of the heartaches that Paulson experienced were solely caused by the actions of others, such as her rape. Others were clearly due to her own poor choices, such as her choice to have an affair while being married. Paulson successfully helps the reader empathize with the bad choices she made, without skirting responsibility. She owns her poor decisions while acknowledging the extent to which the pain of her rape fueled many of those decisions. Even though she covers heavy topics, Paulson's matter-of-fact, witty manner helps the reader to not be unduly weighed down. My favorite part of the book was how Paulson eventually chose a path of healing. She finally broke away from her negative habits and hangups. She is so passionate about healing, she has chosen to use her story as a way to encourage others.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I cannot think of any way to improve this memoir. I listened to it as an audiobook, so I cannot speak to the quality of the editing of the text. Paulson shamelessly reveals her true self. By doing so, she illuminates a path for others to find healing. She lets others see that there is always hope. I recommend this book to people who are struggling with addiction, an eating disorder, depression, or the aftermath of sexual assault. I also recommend this book to those who have a loved one who is enduring any of these battles. Readers who are sensitive to descriptions of any of the issues described above may want to avoid this book. Also, for the same reasons, this book may not be appropriate for younger readers.

Highlight Real
View: on Bookshelves
Evelyn2415
Currently Reading: Spirit of the Season
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Evelyn2415 »

This sounds like a fascinating book. The idea of trying to reinvent yourself is one many people can relate to.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

I did not realize this is a memoir. It sounds an interesting read. Thank you for bringing this book to our attention.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Emily did right by facing her problems head-on instead of running from them.
AJ_Williams011
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-williams011.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by AJ_Williams011 »

I've read a memoir before titled "The Glass Castle" and it was such a great experience. I hope this book holds up to my standard as other memoirs tend to grow boring and incoherent. Thanks for the wonderful review!
All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm.
– Margo Roth Spiegelman in Paper Towns
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

This book is definitely one that will elicit a lot of emotions in readers. Nice review
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I am not into memoirs but I can see myself adding this to my shelf called 'at some point I will.' Thank you for such a thorough and insightful review!
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

Seems like the author narrates undeserved things that happened to her, but she also takes responsibility for some of her bad choices, which is admirable. Great review!
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I equally had to pull people's legs especially during my teenage years, just because I wanted to gain favour before them. This book is actually very relatable to me. Great review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
meena1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meena1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by meena1997 »

feels like a fascinating book to read even though I'm not greatly into memoirs...so I'll give the book a try.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Have you ever been through something in your life that made you want to run away, not just metaphorically, but literally go to some new place where you could start over?
Yep. Are you sure I can't just run really far? 😜
In all seriousness, I can relate. I think most of us can. It seems like an inspiring memoir, and I like that it's narrated in a charismatic way.
Amazing review! Thanks!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I think we all have moments that we feel like running away from everything to avoid the consequences. So this book will be relatable, more or less, to anyone. I am not much interested in memoirs, but if this one is having a good pace and a wide range of events, I would like to try it. Congratulations on being BOTD and thanks for the free giveaway
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

This seems like a hard-hitting book with a positive outcome. A memoir where the author overcame a lot; addiction, abuse, eating disorder. Thank you for the informative review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I'm not a big fan of memoirs, so I won't be reading this book. But from the first few pages that I sampled, I could tell that the author is a fine writer with an apparently amazing story to tell. Congratulations to her on receiving BOTD honors.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a memoir about facing and overcoming obstacles and accepting oneself. The author invites readers to join her on this journey...down the path toward healing by facing the issues head-on, instead of running away. While there, you may start to see there is light at the end of that long, dark tunnel. Thank you for the awesome review!!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”