Official Review: Dealing with Early Onset Alzheimer's Lov...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Official Review: Dealing with Early Onset Alzheimer's Lov...

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dealing with Early Onset Alzheimer's Love, Laughter & Tears" by Sonia Discher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are some absolutely devastating events that occur in people’s lives. One of my biggest fears, however, is watching a close family member suffer from Alzheimer’s disease. In Dealing with Early Onset Alzheimer's Love, Laughter & Tears, Sonia Discher writes about this exact situation. She details how she dealt with the challenges and heartbreak following her husband’s diagnosis of early-onset Alzheimer’s. This book is one part memoir, one part informative, and in my opinion, one part therapy.

Discher starts off her book with an introduction to her husband and their life together prior to the disease. He was an active member in the Canadian Armed Forces and had a very happy family life. She continues by outlining some of the warning signs she might have picked up on (hindsight is 20/20 of course) and then described Steve’s slow deterioration over the next couple of years. She talks about many of the challenges she faced as the disease progressed, some of the resources she used, and tips for those in a similar situation. The book touches on treatments that they tried, fundraising for those treatments, and the various different levels of care they received. Through a chronological progression of the disease's impact on this family, the reader not only hears their story, but is also presented with valuable nuggets of advice/information that could help them in a similar situation.

Having dealt with the horrors of this disease first hand, Discher is writing the book from a position of passion. Her love for her husband and her willingness to do anything in her power to make his life more comfortable were key themes in this book. I loved how she was able to skirt the line between it being a memoir (detailing her and her husband’s fight with the disease) and an informative read (providing the reader with lessons learned, tips, and information on the disease). Some of the lessons were discovered the hard way, and some of the lessons come from a place of joy (creating lasting memories for example). These valuable pieces of advice discovered through real-life experiences are what I liked the most about the book. The piece of wisdom that I hung onto the most is that of self-care. Knowing you can’t take care of your loved ones without taking care of yourself is essential to staying sane in all the chaos.

The only thing that I disliked about the book was that it was missing a professional editorial touch. Despite the amazing message, there were way too many grammatical, editorial, and other mistakes within the copy that I read. The only other thing that I’ll mention, even though it didn’t bother me too much, was the style of the book itself. Some readers may not appreciate the informal, memoir-like approach that the author takes. I really felt that this book, in addition to the goal of instructing and telling a story, was a kind of therapy for Discher.

Since this book not only tells a heart-wrenching tale of one family’s battle with early-onset Alzheimer’s, but also gives solid and informative advice, I highly recommend it. I’m forced to take away one star due to editing alone, but I gladly give this book 3 out of 4 stars. If there is a history of Alzheimer’s disease in your family, someone you love has just been diagnosed with it, or if you are interested in the effect it has on the person diagnosed (or their family), this book is for you. If you have no connection whatsoever with this disease, however, you’re unlikely to be interested in this one.

Dealing with Early Onset Alzheimer's Love, Laughter & Tears
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Tablito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Tablito »

Indeed self-care is critical, you can't take care of a loved one if you can't take care of yourself.

Suesea
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suesea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Suesea »

This book sounds heartbreaking. Although, the helpful description of what to watch for, the symptoms, and how to find help seems priceless.

My Mom's Dad died of Alzheimer's. I'll be reading this when I can. Thanks for your review.

adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! The books seems very interesting, I might give it a try.

Nonny2208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nonny2208 »

Wow! I'm really touched, this book seems very emotional. Thanks for a well detailed review.

AGreatUsername
Currently Reading: Walks of Life
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AGreatUsername »

My mom has early onset. Books like this were invaluable early on in her disease, even with grammatical errors. Learning about other people's lived experiences, for me, was so much more helpful than many of the clinical resources out there. I am past the point with my mother that this book would be helpful, but I am glad it is out there for others. Hope the author can fix the issues to bring it to a wider audience.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”