Official Review: Be Solid by D Grant Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Cardiology for Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed

Official Review: Be Solid by D Grant Smith

Post by shannonkate8 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Be Solid" by D Grant Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you're looking for something positive from the very beginning, pick up Be Solid by D. Grant Smith. This book simply oozes positivity and encourages readers to become their best selves. The book starts with the author's story and his experiences in boxing. His problems didn't start with boxing. Instead, he quickly found that boxing taught him core principles to carry with him throughout life. For example, he learned to not rely on dysfunctional behaviors when he was hurt, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Following an introduction to the author's story, D. Grant Smith provides readers with steps to heal from a heartbreak and become a better person following it. He asserts that readers have to actively fight and work towards this goal as it's not easy. However, it is worth it. For example, readers need to embrace their emotions but not be taken under by them. In addition, instead of pushing people away, readers learn how to build a healthy support system. Throughout the book, D. Grant Smith provides additional tips, tricks, examples, questions, and "action trainings" to support the process of healing.

I thought this was a great self-help book and is perfect for individuals who like these types of books. It is also very helpful for those who are just leaving a relationship. The author is candid about heartbreak but gives readers tools to get out of the dumps. It can also help prepare readers for future relationships and how to find healthy, supportive people to add to your life. I would highly recommend it to all the above people.

Overall, I have to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star for grammatical errors and an issue I had with the book. The book was almost two-hundred and fifty pages. Personally, I did not feel that the book needed to be this long. In fact, at times, I felt that the author was discussing the same thing he already said before. I had to stop a few times before returning to the book because of this.

That said, I did like the book as a whole. My favorite part was that the author starts the book with the preface stating, "You are worth fighting for." It sets the right tone from the book and is a comforting message. I also really liked that the author provided examples of affirmations, lists, and questions as it made the book interactive. I could actually work on some of my own issues as I read. Lastly, I enjoyed how the author related different experiences to boxing. For example, you need to be on your toes and balanced to take on life and your boxing opponent.

Be Solid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

The author sounds like a very practical and 'do it yourself' person. The title of the book is catchy. And the content is just great. However, i think the length is scary for a self-help book.
A beautiful review you have written.
Live and let live, baby!

megan25006
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by megan25006 »

Your review brought this book to life and encourages others to read this book. I feel like knowing the length going in can help face the length you mentioned as sometimes repetition is necessary to help us remember or learn. Are the habits and mechanisms, you mentioned learning from this book, are sustainable long term? I find myself following a program for a few days or even a few weeks, but then fail to maintain the practice.

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

This must be a very motivating book , I would like to read it some day. Thank for the review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! The book seems to be engaging and inspiring, I might give it a try

shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Cardiology for Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed

Post by shannonkate8 »

megan25006 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 16:23
Your review brought this book to life and encourages others to read this book. I feel like knowing the length going in can help face the length you mentioned as sometimes repetition is necessary to help us remember or learn. Are the habits and mechanisms, you mentioned learning from this book, are sustainable long term? I find myself following a program for a few days or even a few weeks, but then fail to maintain the practice.
Like everything, I believe these ideas are dependent on the person. I have a hard time remembering to do things after a few days as well. However, the affirmations in this book made me want to write them down and put it on my wall.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Njokime
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Njokime »

I am not a huge fan of self-help books. I think it's because I am afraid of dealing with some issues one on one. Your review is detailed; I like it.

Nonny2208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nonny2208 »

I've never been a fan of boxing, I always found the sport unworthy to even be called a sport in the first place, but this book does seem like it can change my perspective.

Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Drado_27 »

I didn't think I would find a self-help book with tips connected to boxing. Seems like an interesting read. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”