Official Review: Don't Re 'Tire', Re 'Fresh'! by Rafiq

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: bLU TALKS PRESENTS - Business, Life and the Universe by Corey Poirier and Dr. Allen Lycka

Official Review: Don't Re 'Tire', Re 'Fresh'! by Rafiq

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don't Re 'Tire', Re 'Fresh'!" by Rafiq.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Don't Re 'Tire', Re 'Fresh'! by Rafiq is directed at older readers that have worked throughout their lives and hope to spend their autumn years hibernating. In the author's opinion, there's a lot more to experience in life, and that is the time to refresh and not retire. Rafiq shows us how much more there is to life by employing personal stories of delightful coincidences on his travels all over the world, including India, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Spain, France, Isreal, Egypt, Turkey, and 17 states in the US, with his wife.

"Let not days pass like water through a sieve, For youth! For youth! what would I not give; Weigh each day in silver and gold, Be Alive! Be Alive! Not tired and old!"

The first things that I like about the book are the author's writing style and his incorporation of poetry as he tells short stories. A good example of a short poem included in the book is the quote in the previous paragraph. Expertly applying figures of speech and descriptive writing, the author through his poems fully encompassed the key theme of the book brilliantly. This ensures that the book will elicit happy emotions from readers, as they will feel the author's message of living a more fulfilled life in their later years. The same level of description is not translated in other areas of the book, however, and this influenced the concise nature of the book.

The short stories in the book comprise new relationships formed by Rafiq and his wife through their travels, meeting people coincidentally with close ties to people they know, and adventures, including accidentally getting on a wrong train and having to jump off to avoid a fine of 300 dollars. The stories were easy to connect to, and the nuggets of wisdom offered right after were the icing on the cake. Pictures are also included to give readers a good idea of what is discussed at different points of the book.

Furthermore, Rafiq takes us on a quick tour of the places they have visited. The Maori village in New Zealand where he and his wife renewed their vows was one of my favorites, as they lost their luggage but still put it behind them to have a wonderful experience. I also learned about pink sand beaches in Bermuda, different delicacies in Peru, the first modern-day Olympic stadium in Greece, and a brief history of the "Soong Sisters" of China.

I found just one minor error while reading. Therefore, Don't Re 'Tire', Re 'Fresh'! is a well-edited book, and this ensured that my reading flow was maintained throughout. I even finished the book in one sitting.

All things considered, Don't Re 'Tire', Re 'Fresh'! is an intriguing and inspirational book. I learned quite a lot from reading it, and I can't think of anything that I disliked about it. The author passes a clear message, and he also encourages readers to try new things in their own way. I rate this book 4 out of 4 and would recommend it to older readers interested in living a more fulfilled life. People that enjoy reading travel books may also enjoy this book.

Don't Re 'Tire', Re 'Fresh'!
View: on Bookshelves

shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by shreyagupta »

There are very few books focused on the older people. I have the same view as the author. Thank you for your insight, this book is the perfect present for my grandparents.

Tablito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Tablito »

Rafiq and his wife must be having a good time creating new memories as they travel around the world.

Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

wow, this is a new concept, and very refreshing. I would love to read the book. Your review is beautifully written.

BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by BookBoyP »

This seems like an enlightening book. It will definitely help older people. Thanks for the review.

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Saint Bruno »

I already found the title of the book to be inspiring. Thanks a lot for detailed review and your recommendation.

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Ada Ling »

Not many books on the older people. This books sounds unique. Nice review!

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: The Paris Photo by Jane S. Gabin

Post by Slater678 »

I like descriptive writing style and I like the theme of regeneration discussed in the book. Nice review.

Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Drado_27 »

Seems like an interesting story! Love old people that have the enthusiasm of a young. Great review!

honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by honesty_pays »

I appreciate that this book give elderly readers a means to live their lives in a joyful matter and not joy hibernate till they are no more

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”