Review by parg28 -- Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
parg28
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parg28.html
Latest Review: Individual Influence by Brian Smith and Mary Smith

Review by parg28 -- Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by parg28 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beneath the Muscle" by Lauren Powers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Beneath the Muscle, Lauren Powers takes readers on her journey of self-discovery, character depth and career success. As one of the biggest names in the female bodybuilding world, Ms. Powers has had her fair share of challenges to overcome. Throughout the book, she details those challenges and the lessons she learned along the way. She shows readers how her success came from situations that challenged and built her character. Each chapter has something new for readers to take away and Ms. Powers imparts her wisdom, and her lessons, to whoever needs a little help and encouragement to accomplish their dreams.

What I liked most about this book was the honesty behind it all. The author tells readers everything that shaped her from the good, the bad and the ugly. It’s a book that doesn’t pull any punches, but manages to inspire and encourage along the way. The author doesn’t shy away from difficult topics, like drug and alcohol dependence, which provides a refreshing honesty. The tone is friendly and feels like you are speaking with a close friend rather than a champion in the bodybuilding world. That makes it easy to read and also makes it easy to understand the messages in each chapter.

I also enjoyed the fact that the author included a bonus workbook to help readers. There is a link for this free download in the preface and also at the end of every chapter. This workbook is a place where readers can reflect on the content in the book, answer questions and perform exercises to move past whatever is holding them back from accomplishing their goals.

It was a struggle to find something I disliked most, but I decided that I wished the book were longer. It feels like the author has so much more to say and so many more things to teach readers. I was a little disappointed it ended so soon.

For anyone who is struggling to move past roadblocks or anyone who feels like taking the first step is too scary, read this book. The author explains her journey from the beginning until present time, and clearly shows all the trials and tribulations she went through to be the person she is today. It’s a story about hope and perseverance, and each chapter provides more support and encouragement for whoever is reading it. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars due to the excellent writing, professional editing, friendly tone and uplifting content.

Beneath the Muscle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”